Non in-ear earbuds
Oct 25, 2005 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

huxbnw

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for some non in-ear earbuds. I know the in-ear models likely have the best sound, but I just can't take the feel of my Shures. Can someone please recommend a good quality non in-ear model? I've heard Sennheiser makes a good one. Any other options? Thanks.

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 11
And in between the price of the Sennheiser MX series and AT CM7 is Sony's MDR-E888LP ($40-45). There's also AKG's new earbud which is getting praise in recent threads.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 11
Angle the SONY MDR-E10 buds outwards like the drivers of the
Sennheiser headband buds PX10 (the looser the better) and you will
hear great open clear extended spacious sound. Very comfortable.
Inexpensive.

Don't angle the E10 drivers inward or they will sound muffled.

These are better than AKG and Sennheiser buds in terms of sound,
comfort, and price.

Truly one of the Big Bang for the Buck phones available.

$15 in Canada. Probably less in US.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
Angle the SONY MDR-E10 buds outwards like the drivers of the
Sennheiser headband buds PX10 (the looser the better) and you will
hear great open clear extended spacious sound. Very comfortable.
Inexpensive.

Don't angle the E10 drivers inward or they will sound muffled.

These are better than AKG and Sennheiser buds in terms of sound,
comfort, and price.

Truly one of the Big Bang for the Buck phones available.

$15 in Canada. Probably less in US.

Do you EVER stop pimping these ****ing things?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Do you EVER stop pimping these ****ing things?
rolleyes.gif

lol - maybe a Sony employee of the month?
tongue.gif

I have the Senn mx400 and they're very good. they sound amazing if I push and hold them into the canals like IEMs though. I've heard the 450/550 is better than the 400/500.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
The same can be said for the AKG and Sennheiser pimps. LOL.

Not when half your posts are saying the exact same thing about the exact same product, whether the question warrants it or not (example: "I want a full-size can that leaks a bit less than Grados" "OMGOMGOMG TRY TEH E10S THEY ARE EXCELLENT AS LONG AS YOU DON'T POINT THEM AT YOUR EARDRUMS")...sorry, but I'm just getting a little tired of it. There's a difference between recommending a headphone you really like when you think the thread/question warrants it, and pasting the same few lines into every thread that has the vaguest relevance.

[/rant]

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 11
The MX400/500: Full sound

The MX450/550: Very bright sound; too bright for me, no bass due to poor fit.

The K12P/K14P: More transparent, clear, refined than MX__ buds,
but thin sounding due to a lack of bass. Similar sonic signature to the
big K501's.

None of the above are comfortable if you have small ears.

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Out of my selection of earbuds, I'd have to say the only one that I'd feel comfortable recommending is the Sony E888. Truly excellent sound quality out of such a small driver. Again, probably not the best for small outer ears though (why are we caring about this again?
tongue.gif
)

You mention the reason you don't want IEMs is because you don't like your Shures. Perfectly understandable, but have you looked into what I like to call semi-canalphones? The kind in the form factor of the Sony EX71 or Panasonic RP-HJE50, that I at least find far more comfortable than either earbuds or IEMs. The best I've heard in this form factor so far is the Creative EP630, which are supposed to just be rebadged Sharp MD33s without the L-shaped cord or the 4-pole plug. The MD33s or the new JVC FX55s get quite a lot of props around here too, though I've heard neither. With these come some isolation (but nowhere near as much as IEMs), a lot of comfort, and a pretty decent price-to-sound ratio, they're cheap without sounding terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back