Non-IEM, similar price to SA6?
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CloseToTheHedge

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to sell my SA6s after messing for too long with different tips, and an embarassing trip to accident and emergency to have one hauled out of my earhole with surgical tweezers. I think IEMs aren't for me.

Anyway, I'm after something in the CX300 style, non IEM phone (canal phone?). I'd like SOME isolation, so the likes of the PK1,2 etc are out of the question, and they tend to fall out of my ears anyway. I'm just struggling to figure out if there's anything at that price range that can come close to the potential of the SA6s.

Some of my considerations:

1. I want something neutral. I'm sensitive to sibilance, and harshness in general. Nothing nails-on-balackboard. At the same time nothing too boomy (e.g. mylarone x3is, which I own)

2. Running straight out of a Cowon S9, which is known to have issues with bass roll off using low impedence phones, although I may have to try a bit of resistor improvisation.

3. I listen almost exclusively to rock, a mixture of prog, metal, classic, grunge. E.g. Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Pink Floyd, Rush, Smashing Pumpkins, Mars Volta, Tool

4. Similar price to SA6, preferable cheaper. Around £100 for those of you unfortunate enough to deal in such an awful currency.

Please help me! I'm a bit lost with non-IEMs for portables, there doesn't seem to be much support for them on here.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 9
denon C751 would probably be your best bet, though they're a bit hot in the treble.

Head-Direct RE0 and Jays s-Jays might also be good options.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the stock SA6 tips anyway?

Nothing, it's just me. Anything that goes too deep into my ear gives me major listening fatigue. I had the same problem with the Atrios and had to sell them too.

So basically I need something that doesn't go too deep. The denons look interesting.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 9
havent heard em mentioned here even once yet, but ive been using sennhieser hd 280pros with my ipod for over 2 years and they NEVER disappoint.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the replies. Hmmm. I like the look of the RE1s over the others, especially since they supposedly have smooth treble with no sibilance.

However I have two worries. Firstly I'm not sure that even the meaty internal amp of my cowon s9 will be able to handle 150 ohms. Secondly I need to be absolutely sure that they won't extend really far into my ear canal like the sleeks did. Can anyone confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back