Non IEM in-line mic earbuds?
May 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vitus Apollo

New Head-Fier
After the death of my standard apple earbuds, I've been looking for some non IEM earbuds that preferably have an in-line mic. I use them while sitting in the hospital with my brother (wounded from an IED) so the mic isn't a deal breaker but they are a nice plus, due to the nature of their use they can't be in ear or noise canceling. I use them primarily for video games and music, so deep basses are appreciated. Anyone know of something thats quality but under $100?

Thanks

May 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 10
Bass is hard to get in an earphone without them being In-ear. Maybe Bose, they are somewhere in between IEM and Earphone. I know Bose is hated, but in this situation I can't think of many off the top of my head.

May 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 10
I've begun to favor earbuds since Ive had some cheap portable headphones before and they tend to get broken in my laptop bag, but if you know some that are sturdy I could give them another shot.

May 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Both of those are relatively sturdy. I got my mother some porta pros for running, and they're going strong 3 months in... My mom's not exactly easy on them. I've owned px100s for at least 6 years, and they still work fine. I had to re-terminate my brother's pair after 2 years. They both come with cases, the px100 with a convenient hard case. Only thing to watch out for with the px100 case is that you don't put strain on the plug when wrapping it around. I think that's why my brother's pair developed a loose connection.

They can be pretty robust, at the very least equal to ear buds. Probably more comfortable to wear as well.

I know yuin makes some reputable buds if in line mic isn't a must. I'd look at the ear bud roundup as well.

May 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Im in a similar boat to OP, as a security officer and having to hear the radio, I cannot wear in ear noise canceling earphones. However, with my uniform we cannot wear banded headphones either.  I've been looking at Bose for the in-line mic and their StayHear buds but the price of $130 is quite high for the reviews I've seen.

May 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Any experience with the Sennheiser PX100 II's? 

I haven't but they appear to be the replacement for the px100 which is no longer available. I can't imagine they'd make it worse...  by the photo's it seems to be made differently as well, so durability might be better or worse. but i don't own one so i can't say much else.
Apparently the II comes with a pouch instead of a hard case. probably an improvement, as when you're listening to the phones, you can stick the pouch in your pocket... not so much with the hard case.

Take a look at the PX100-IIi which has an inline mic.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_mobile_music_504162

Probably a good non-bud option if you want to go that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back