Non-IEM headphones for sleeping?
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I have noisy upstairs neighbors, so I've been using my trusty Marshmallows to fall asleep to brown noise. But even these minimally-invasive phones are causing some ear canal irritation and may also be worsening my ear wax issues. I've tried sleeping with full-sized cans (I don't mind sleeping on my back), but they always seem to slide off of my ears when I lie down.

Anyone out there have on-ear or over-the-ear headphones that stay put when you're lying down? I'd love your recommendations....

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 4
  I have noisy upstairs neighbors, so I've been using my trusty Marshmallows to fall asleep to brown noise. But even these minimally-invasive phones are causing some ear canal irritation and may also be worsening my ear wax issues. I've tried sleeping with full-sized cans (I don't mind sleeping on my back), but they always seem to slide off of my ears when I lie down.

Anyone out there have on-ear or over-the-ear headphones that stay put when you're lying down? I'd love your recommendations....

What is your budget? Do you want open or closed headphones (I assume closed, given your situation but we need to clarify at the outset)?

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Closed on-ear would probably be the best option. My old Sony V6 almost fits the bill, except for the massive spiral cable....But if I'm lying immobile on my back, maybe even that isn't too big a deal. Source will be an iPod or Sanza Clip, so sensitivity/impedance to match.

Budget is, well, cheap. Sound quality isn't an issue when you're just listening to brown or white noise. Mainly looking for comfort, ability to stay on ears (no swiveling earcups, for instance), and hopefully a bit of passive isolation. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 4
There are these...
https://www.dubslabs.com/products/bedphones-gen-3-sleep-headphones.html
http://www.sleepphones.com/products

I don't know if it's cheap enough for you and I'm sure they sound bad but they look comfortable enough to sleep sideways on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back