Non IEM earphones with good isolation?
Nov 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DoomForce

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a pair of earphones that provide decent isolation (so that the other people in the bus etc. don't hear what I am listening to), but I don't want to use IEMs due to my ears not tolerating them, and I wouldn't want to use full size cans either. Is there any other option?

I'm willing to invest 100-150 bucks for them for the daily commute. I'm looking forward to your suggestions, I always find awesome advice on head-fi :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 9
What you're asking is kind of contradictory/inconsistent: Earphones provides minimal to no isolation due to their nature. Some IEMs can be shallow enough to not bother that much but I don't know very well your situation. If you're looking for isolation for a daily commute with some comfort you should really consider on the ear/over the ear headphones.

I must add that there are many comfortable IEMs with soft/foam tips providing excellent isolation and astonishing degree of comfort or you can use foam tips like Comply™ Foam Tips with your current IEMs. Tell us which IEM you have/ had in the past.  

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 9
My problem is not comfort, as I have used multiple IEMS over the years with all sorts of tips without feeling discomfort. The problem lies in the hygiene part, as I have been going through ear infections and I have a hunch that maybe IEMs and me putting it in the same pocket as my phone etc. may be causing this.

Feel free to tell me your opinion about this in this post, but regarding the earphones I was looking for, I guess it was something like the latest ear-pods by Apple, but you know, with better sound and even less sound leaking.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 9
You can always shop for closed-type, circumaural full sized headphones. Something like Incase Sonic comes to mind.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 9
  My problem is not comfort, as I have used multiple IEMS over the years with all sorts of tips without feeling discomfort. The problem lies in the hygiene part, as I have been going through ear infections and I have a hunch that maybe IEMs and me putting it in the same pocket as my phone etc. may be causing this.

Feel free to tell me your opinion about this in this post, but regarding the earphones I was looking for, I guess it was something like the latest ear-pods by Apple, but you know, with better sound and even less sound leaking.

They don't really exist, sorry.  The closest thing I could think of would be workout headphones like Yurbuds or something from the Monster iSport line, but they're not designed to isolate the user from the environment for safety issues.

As for IEMs causing ear infections, it's certainly possible but you're doing the absolute worst thing possible by simply shoving them in your pocket.  Get (and use!) a case, and sterilize them every couple of days with rubbing alcohol.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 9
We all suffered from infections at some point so we know how you feel, Some people is allergic to foam tips, cheap tips can leave some silicone waste result of the manufacturing process inside your ear, etc... however you got it right: Hygiene is the key...

There's no need to clean your ears constantly with q-tips. A towel is usually more than enough, small cotton hair from the q-tips can rest inside your ears and cause an infection, so avoid them at all costs. I used to have allergic reactions often but it was a matter of time, the allergic reaction disappeared even using the same tips after a few weeks and now I'm allergic free (knocking on wood).

Clean the silicone tips with soap and water the first time you use them if possible to remove the silicone excess. 

You could keep your IEMs (earphones) inside a case when not in use. (Always)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=earphone%20case&sprefix=earphone+case%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aearphone%20case

If you have earpods or apple earbuds you could consider these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=earskinz

Check my tips list out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666577/the-complete-guide-to-taking-proper-care-of-headphones

Have det sjovt

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank you for the hygiene tips, I am getting a carrying case ASAP :)

Since we have already sidestepped from the original post: I have been cleaning the buds with rubbing alcohol (35%), however I purchased some isopropanol (99%). Would you use one or the other for cleaning IEM tips?

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back