Non headphone system.
Aug 3, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #17 of 23
ACID
If you can try and audition conrad johnson tube amps like the cj mv55 you should be able to find them used for around a 1000.00
vocals to die for. You may also want tO consider VTL amps,more neutral than cjs better extension on both ends ,you can find good deals on vtl amps .because they don't have as good a resale value
you should audition first,but you will get good bang for the buck. and a better deal on one used.

Aug 3, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
I'll second the recommendation for the book (Complete Guide to High End Audio). Robert Harley writes well and the book has really helped me in picking out my stuff.

I have that book. It is essential if you plan to go above mass market component quality.

Aug 5, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 23
Tuberoller and I visited Decibel and Symphony Sound this past weekend and I got a chance to hear some equipment.

First up were some speakers at Decibel. The KEF Q1 bookshelf speaker. The KEF was quite good for the money around $500 retail. It had plenty of detail and was quite lively. Next up was the Snell QB 20. This speaker was my favorite. It retails for about $750. It had more warmth than the KEF and sounded richer to me overall. The last speaker was the Roksan ROKone. This was a good speaker but it was just so ugly that I didn't like it. It retails for about $1000. The guys at Decibel are great and didn't pressure me into buying anything. They just let me listen and then told me what kind of deal I could get on the speakers.

qseries1_image_big.jpg

qbx20_4.jpg

pic353.gif

Next, we went to Symphony Sound which is on the third floor of this old building. These people seemed like they were trying to hide their store. You won't find it unless you're really looking for them. There I met Albert, the same guy who used to work at Holm Audio when I purchased my MG Head DT. These guys had dedicated listening rooms which was nice. Here I listened to a couple of amps. First up was the ASL Tulip amp with an ASL 2004 preamp. Total cost was a around $1100. This combo was my favorite. I think both Tuberoller and I thought it just sounded effortlessly. Next up were the little ASL 8 monoblocks. These were good for the money around $250 for a pair. But a step down from the Tulip. Next up was an ASL integrated but I don't remember the model number. It cost around $650. It sounded somewhere inbetween the Tulip and the monoblocks. The last amp we heard was a Unison Research that was a demo they were trying to sell. It was around $1600 retail. It was close to the Tulip but I think it didn't sound as good as the Tulip.

Right now I'm thinking the ASL Tulip/preamp combo with a pair of Snell QB 20s would be a great match. Thanks to Tuberoller for his time over the weekend.

Aug 6, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #20 of 23
For cheap speakers:

kurresma.gif

The specs

http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/kurrespe.htm

These will blow any speaker away in the $500 range.

Ive got the floorstander version. I still cant find a speaker that can compete with it within 1k of its price.

These will definetely floor the kefs.

There is a catch
smily_headphones1.gif
You have to get them sent OS.

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #21 of 23
Hey Acid,

I was looking at some of the specs for the Snell speakers and I am thinking that component matching may be a concern.I would certainly try to audition this combo of amp/pre/speakers before I made a final purchase.The Snell seem to have a 4ohm impedance but it is pretty flat.The Tulip does have a 4ohm speaker tap and I am sure it will power the Snell to respectable volumes.I would still audition this combo to verify synergy.If you want to borrow the stuff from Symphony Sound to try the Snell or vice-versa that would be a good thing to do.

I was talking to a guy who belongs to my audio club and he was not at all happy with the Audes speakers that he has.He has been trying to sell them and cannot get a decent price for them and he has been offered less than half of what he paid for them less than a year ago.trade-in value is even less.

I'm sorry I was so tired and started bumming you out by talking about work.I get like that after I have'nt had much sleep.Anytime you wanna go back or to try some other places let me know.

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 23
I thought the speakers that Albert was using were good but not great. I think they were a little over priced. We could hit Holm Audio some time since I've never been there.

You didn't bum me out talking about work. I have another friend who I used to work with who is a fireman and he would tell some really disturbing stories sometimes, too.
eek.gif

Hey, how about these speakers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1371698006

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #23 of 23
Spendors are considered generally excellent monitors. TAS has the S-3/5 (I think not the same one as on Ebay) on their recommended list. I had Spendor on my list for my own non-headphone system. There's a review of the SP3/1P available for $3 at AVGuide .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back