Non-foam replacement tips for UM2s
Jan 2, 2006 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dave_pass

New Head-Fier
Hello, does anyone have a recommendation for good replacement tips for UM2s? My ears don't get along with any foam tips, including the comply tips that come standard.

I have a pair of UE 5EBs & those are very comfortable for me. I've read that you can use any Shure replacement tips so I'm thinking the Shure Ultra-Soft Flex Sleeves look most similar to the UE tips.

Does anyone have any experience with that switch? Any other recommendations?

Thanks very much,
Dave

Jan 2, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes Dave, any of the Shure flex tips will fit on the UM2. You can even use the tri-flanges with them. Custom molds, are always an option, but I don't think you will have to resort to that extreme!

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 8
I use Etymotic triple flanges. They are cheaper than Shure. I modify them to be Bi-flanges by cutting the smallest tip off and inserting it into the base of the wider flange

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 8
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid you can't do that."
eek.gif

jk... but like others have already said, yea you can use the Shure silicon tips, as well as the Etymotic tri-flanges (which need a bit modifying). Also Shure makes their own tri-flanges that you can try.

Jan 2, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Eartip choice will affect sound quality quite a bit with the UM2. I'd recommend the clear flex tips. They will not sound quite as harsh as some of the other possible eartips. The soft flex tips sound a bit harsher, but are also more comfortable. Both eartips will have a brighter tonal balance than the comply tips.

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 8
For best sq and comfort hands down,go with the custom UM56 tips from Westone. More costly, but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back