Non-converting cue splitter for .wv wavpack file?
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I have umm ... acquired a collection of several albums, each in a single 32bit/192kHz .wv file, with a companion .cue file. I want to split the single file for each album into individual tracks for use on pmp (Sony WM1A), but the cue splitter program I have doesn't support .wv. I did some googlin and found mention of "CueTools" on another site as the solution ... I don't think it is. It will split the .wv file into individual tracks, but not without converting to some other lossless format. And even if I'm willing to accept conversion to another format, dBpoweramp for example won't convert to flac or ape or aac or m4a without a decrease in bitrate and/or sample size.

I need something that will convert the .wv into individual tracks, without giving up that 32/192 goodness.

I'm considering just putting the full-album .wv files as-is on the Walkman, since I tend to listen to full albums anyway. I think it will play them. But before doing that, I humbly submit this query> :L3000: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Compressed formats are hard to edit.
Hence most of the time they are expanded to PCM, edited e.g. split and then converted back to any desired lossless format.

In your case the bit depth is a bit strange.
Normally it is 16 or 24.
In case of 24 most of the time there is 20/21 bits of audio, the lower bits are random noise.
32 bits is often used in audio projects.
To keep the quantization error down, one uses a higher bit depth. Might very well be 32 bit float.
The final product is exported to a common and more relevant bit depth e.g. 24 bit.
You might use ant spectral analyzer and check if there is life below -120 dBFS.
Probably not.
Likewise you can check is there is any meaningful frequency up to 96 kHz.
Personally I doubt if you lose any relevant information when you split it into 24 bit / 96 kHz.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Personally I doubt if you lose any relevant information when you split it into 24 bit / 96 kHz.

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. I figured out that I could load the cue in foobar, then convert out individual tracks into .wav files (not .wv). But even those are a no-go, because according to dbpoweramp, those .wav's are not PCM. So I'm going to have to convert the 32/192 wavs into 24/96 pcm wav's, then I can go to flac.

Like you said, there's a downstep, but it's not like I'd really hear a difference..

EDIT: To quote Borat, "Great success!" Thanks for the helpful input, @Roseval.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back