Non coloring amps - question
Sep 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jz9chen

New Head-Fier
What do non coloring amps do aside from making things louder?
If nothing, then what's the difference between a cheap and expensive non color amps? 

Thanks =)

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Features (bass boost, crossfeeds, variable gain ... etc), mainly. Build quality, power, looks, form factor, specs.... lots more!

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 3
  What do non coloring amps do aside from making things louder?
If nothing, then what's the difference between a cheap and expensive non color amps? 

Thanks =)

Aside from amplifying the signal, they also add noise, crosstalk and inter-modulation distortion. On any good amplifier, these are measured and specified as part of the specs.

What separates an expensive transparent amplifier from a cheap one? Here are some items listed from most relevant to least relevant.

• Its power in watts RMS and the ability to drive small (i.e., low impedance loads), before the THD crosses a certain threshold.
  • The noise characteristics mentioned in the first paragraph along with other attributes such as slew rate and dampening factor.
  • The type of amplifier (i.e., class A, class A/B, class D, class H). The amplifier's efficiency is highly dependent on this.
  • A balanced topology (vs. single-ended). The benefits of this are considered dubious in nature, unless there is a very long (interconnect) cable run to the amplifier from the pre-amplifier or source.
  • Parts tolerance and reserve capacitance.
  • Quality of construction, durability and a reasonable maintenance free life.
  • Cosmetics including materials used for construction, weight and other physical attributes that have little to do with how the amplifier performs sonically.

I hope that answers your question to a reasonable extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back