non-audio related stuff FS?
Apr 17, 2007 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

televators

Banned
001.png

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 15
I second your idea. As long as the stuff for sale is legal/authentic, I think it would be a very good idea to have a separate non-audio related FS forum.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 15
This has been discussed quite often between the moderators. As much as this is a relatively close knit community, it has been determined that we wish to keep the site related to music, music reproduction, and those "gadgets" that relate to the former. Computer gear and video game gear has been allowed as, though sometimes it's a stretch, they can be indirectly related to music/reproduction. What we do not want is for Head-Fi's For Sale forums to become a classy eBay.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 15
As much as I might like to sell some of my watches and stuff around here, I'm quite glad it's been kept restricted. There have already been issues with people joining just to sell/scam, that's why the FS has been restriced to 50+ post members. If we opened the floodgates to all kinds of items... I'm worried about what it would do. I think the right decision has been made here, I fully support the mods.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This community has a very diverse set of members, and I feel like a trust most of the people here as though they were actually friends. Even though I have a relatively low post count, I have been lurking for over 2 years now and have read many of your opinions and experiences and trust selling on this site over many other venues.

So after that, I wondered if we were selling non-audio stuff, can we post it somewhere. I know many of the people on head-fi are into many other hobbies and we talk about them all the time in this section, and I know I would prefer something that I had a good time with, going to someone I know will take care of it and get good use out of it as well.

just a thought
biggrin.gif

Selling? Aren't you begging instead?

-Ed

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought about this also. Lots of folks here into watches, knives, flashlights, lighters and gadgets that don't really fit into any of the other F/S forums.

There are many many other specialized forums where you can buy/sell specifically. Much better choices there.

Candlepowered forums, Blade forums, etc, come to mind.

-Ed

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 15
my 2 cents as someone always selling stuff on ebay/craigslist

selling something unrelated to audio here would just get too little traffic to succeed, the success rate of selling your items quickly would be low (if any success at all) and even for someone shopping for something it would be a waste of time 29 days out of the month to be checking the adds.

so ya, but OP i do understand where your coming from, im trying just to get to 50 posts so i can sell. haha anyone looking for a tv, dreamcast, camera, nano?

haha im just kidding about that, those stuff are on sale elsewhere, this is not the place for that.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 15
I have no problem with the mods decision to keep it audio related, after all, that's what the site was founded on.

I suppose it has crossed my mind (non-audio FS forum) because of the pleasant deals I've made here with other members. I just have a very high comfort level with this community when buying/selling, more so than any other venue. It seems more personal here, and a lot less hassle than ebay.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Why not institute a secret coded e-handshake Head-Fi members can use when they sell in other marketplaces?

For instance, if one posted an ad on Craigslist, one could simply sign at the bottom "hfitan1p2be!" (Head Fi is the absolute number 1 place 2 buy everything!). Another member might by chance see the handshake code, or he or she could simply search all of Craigslist to see if the code comes up, and what members here have for sale. Contact them through CL, request their user name, send them a PM or e-mail through Head-Fi to verify, check their feedback and buy with confidence. Everything is so transparent here; Craigslist is so dark and seedy in comparison. Of course, complications arise (leaving feedback, for example). But it might be nice.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 15
Superpred... I like that idea, as crazy and complex as it is. As someone who is on craigslist and ebay alot, I will now be putting that string of characters at the bottom of my ads/auctions. But... it will have a little addition so it's easier to find who I am.

hfitan1p2be! - RedLeader

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Superpred... I like that idea, as crazy and complex as it is. As someone who is on craigslist and ebay alot, I will now be putting that string of characters at the bottom of my ads/auctions. But... it will have a little addition so it's easier to find who I am.

hfitan1p2be! - RedLeader

I will start looking for the stuff you're selling.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back