Non amplified headphones
Feb 4, 2003 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Otakuboy

New Head-Fier
I understand how important a headphone amplifier is to getting truely high quality sound, but right now my situation will not allow me to use one.

I basicly want to know what is the best pair of headphones (sub $200) that will work very well without an amp and sound neutral. If possible I would like to get a set that will sound ok without an amp, but much better when I get the opportunity to get one. I was wondering if maybe a set of senn 580's would work alright without an amp or if I should just get a cheaper set, but from what I have heard its seems like they sound terrible without an amp.

I do one day plan on getting a really nice set of headphones with a good amp, but for now I will have to make due without one.

I should also mention that I listen to 99% 'classical' music (mostly post modern stuff. Ligeti, Zorn, Xenakis, Cage, etc) so I need the most neutral sounding headphones that I can get without an amp. Coloring the sound is VERY bad.

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 11
My guess would be that the ATH-A900 would be the best sound for under $200 without an amp.

You might also consier the Beyer DT250-80 which will sound good without an amp, but better with an amp.

I haven't heard either of these headphones, but they are both highly recommended around here.

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 11
What will you plug them into?

A reciever? Portable cd player? computer sound card (which one?)? a component CD player?

What about all of the Grado headphones?

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 11
I will mostly be using them on a laptop and occasionaly a portable mp3 player. I do have a really nice hometheater receiver, but I won't be using them on that to often.

Everything that I have heard about Grado is that they color the sound quite a bit, and that is what I am trying to avoid.

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd get the beyer 250-80s. They'll sound amazing out of the box, and they will grow as you get an amp.
It sounds as if your primary use for the headphones will be a portable situation. Am I correct? In that case, the 580s wouldn't really fit in.

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 11
You do realize how much most laptops suck for sound quality?

You might want to consider a USB sound card of some sort... hell, whenever I move my mouse on the desktop with my laptop, I hear a squealing noise...
eek.gif

So you want some monitors for a laptop that dont need to block out outside noise, huh...

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Don't get the 580s. Put them firmly out of your mind. I got them and was looking for an amp from day one, that's how uninspiring they sounded unamped.

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Otakuboy
Well I do a lot of audio editing work at school on my laptop, that and analyzing music.. Traveling in a noisy setting won't really come up very often.

for audio analysis, consider the Sony MDR-V6 (not the same as MDR-V600). These are studio/sound monitoring headphones and are very analytical in nature. They are easily driven without an amp. I currently use mine with a portable CD player, and with my PC at home. I also plan to use them for audio editing classes in the future.

Feb 4, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 11
are any of the cheaper sennheisers any good? I've heard some good things about how the 497's sound without an amp, but I haven't heard anything about how they might color the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back