Nomad Jukebox 3: Worth the jump?
Nov 26, 2004 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MuzlL0dr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about selling my month old Zen Xtra to downgrade (crossgrade?) to the NJB3. I've got a Go-Vibe and I'm really itching to step into something that has a line out so I can truly take advantage of the amp. Any thoughts on this? Is the upgrade in sound substantial enough to go to a NJB3? Also, how does the device perform otherwise? Like song to song speed, stability, etc. These seem to be the definitive players for SQ, just wondering if it's worth going back to the older gen technology. And no, I'm not gonna consider an iPod because I'm not trying to sink my money, I'm trying to get something that could be had for near what I could still sell my Xtra for. (Any body interested in a 1 month old one?
icon10.gif
) Thanks for the feedback!!

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 13
would not advise the NJB3 unless you need the high-quality recording features. size, ergonomics, and especially the screen are much better on the Xtra. the line-output of the NJB3 is overrated IMO.

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
would not advise the NJB3 unless you need the high-quality recording features. size, ergonomics, and especially the screen are much better on the Xtra. the line-output of the NJB3 is overrated IMO.

Yeah, I definitely prefer the size of the Xtra. And it IS a good player, without question. I'm mostly just lured by that line out.
biggrin.gif
Part of me thinks that the amp I got isn't helping much since for me to get anywhere near it's normal operating levels with a line out, I have to turn my Xtra's headphone jack literally all the way up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by masteraleph
I love the lineout on my NJB3, and would highly recommend it if the ergonomics don't bother you (the new drag n drop driver creative puts out is nice too).

I have to admit I balk a bit at the size, but I can still keenly remember when we all had to just carry around CD players, anyway, so I'm not THAT intimidated by the size. Ack! The decisions!

EDIT: w00t! Post 100!

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 13
With the right bag, The NJB amped would be excellent.

have the (no longer) inline remote on the outside for track flipping on the go, etc, and have quick, secure access to the scroll and screen for album/mode switching and such and you are golden.

Now finding the bag. Hum.

Personally, for more casual, portable listening I'd prefer the more portable Ipod + portable headphones from the head out. But The NJB3 and a worthy portable amp (Sr-71? SuperMacro/Mono?) along with good sounding phones with reasonable isolation, you would have the ultimate plane/transport rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
With the right bag, The NJB amped would be excellent.

HMMmm. I actually have the Lowe Pro bag from the Portable Rigs gallery on order... 30AW I think? It looks like it might be big enough to hold an NJB3 + amp. I REALLY like the remote idea, too. That's one thing I do HATE about the Xtra. Have to pretty much set it and forget it, otherwise deal with pulling it in and out of my messenger bag. Hmm. Come to think of it, my messenger bag is fine for a NJB anyway. Man... Keep finding more and more reasons to go that route. Thanks for the input!

Nov 27, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
Note that the remote costs extra and is not bundled with the standard NJB3.

Yeaah, I am factoring that in. I just like the idea that it's at least an option. I'm still not sure why they didn't make it available on the Xtra.
confused.gif
It's just some real nice added convenience.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 13
Well, I think it's impractical, just so you know. At least for me. I only listen to my portable a couple hours at school(1 usually, 3 tops), and 2-5 hours at home (but only because my only other source is an Audigy). This sort of "transport" set up would only be worth while if you need a consistant setup between two locations daily, or if you are on a plane, train, or bus daily or often.

Nov 27, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 13
I personally don't think it's worth it to downgrade. You might get better sound quality but I doubt the difference will be mind blowing. The interface is just a bit "primitive" for the NJB3.

I would suggest something like a Rio Karma, so at least you get to try something new and it is definitely a quality player as well.

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzlL0dr
Yeah, I definitely prefer the size of the Xtra. And it IS a good player, without question. I'm mostly just lured by that line out.
biggrin.gif
Part of me thinks that the amp I got isn't helping much since for me to get anywhere near it's normal operating levels with a line out, I have to turn my Xtra's headphone jack literally all the way up.

I have to admit I balk a bit at the size, but I can still keenly remember when we all had to just carry around CD players, anyway, so I'm not THAT intimidated by the size. Ack! The decisions!

EDIT: w00t! Post 100!

Um... you DO have to turn the volume all the way up to amp the signal. That's how you get a signal level that could be considered a 'line out' as far as amps are concerned.

I don't think it's worth it these days on the basis of size. It's three times thicker (and the same area) than a late-90's Sony D-777 for example. The JB3 Line Out is slightly better than an iPod's, but it's a very close call. There is also a possibility that the newer Zens actually perform as well as the JB3 as a Line Out source when you do turn the volume up to maximum, although I can't confirm this.

In terms of things from Creative however, the JB3 is of course one of the better players to amp as you can keep the player in a bag and use it by remote.

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
The solution is obvious.

Get the NJB3, and KEEP the Xtra! :wink:

Ha! Yeah, the ideal solution, for sure.

Well, I've decided to hold off for the time being at least. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll just keep plugging away with the Xtra unless I decide to go to a different DAP with line out. It's a good little unit anyway. Ok, the real reason being a new Nintendo DS stole my $150 that I was going to use for the NJB3. Curses!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back