Nokia Purity
Nov 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

KoninK

New Head-Fier
So, not only do we have HTC phones with beats audio and HP laptops with beats audio, we now have nokias with purity by monster.
They look like monster simply reused the headband of the beats solo and slapped on a new cupdesign, the inserts look like the turbine's or whatevers, the one whit the flat red cable.

http://www.puritybymonster.com/

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 30
Both of those sets certainly look nice, but it would be nice to see how they perform. Personally I'm not holding my breath but who knows, Monster might surprise me. After all, the Turbines and Miles Davis series get a lot of praise around here.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
More overpriced trash to sneer at.

Don't judge a book by its cover...  It may have the best cover in the entire world, but it may be filled with blank pages.  On the contrary, it may have the dullest cover in the entire world, but have a wonderful story to tell.  However, at times, it may be the best of both worlds providing both an awesome cover and and awesome story :p

Monster isn't a bad company at all, many of their products are well regarded on Head-Fi, it's just that the Beats by Dre name might have tarnished them a bit here.  Don't judge an entire company by a single product line that failed.  If the Quincy Jones like failed, I'm sure Head-Fi would still love AKG...  Don't turn the tables when it comes to Monster. 

Quote:
Both of those sets certainly look nice, but it would be nice to see how they perform. Personally I'm not holding my breath but who knows, Monster might surprise me. After all, the Turbines and Miles Davis series get a lot of praise around here.

I don't know how many Head-Fi users have used the Gratitudes, those are also good quality. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 30
I'm sorry but a company that makes its profit primarily by shilling overpriced HDMI cables to idiots by comparing them to RCA cables in the stores will always have me sneering at any of their offerings, even if some of their stuff is actually 'good'.

I do that partly because I am a snob for companies that push overpriced crap in a dishonest way, and partly in principle.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
I'm sorry but a company that makes its profit primarily by shilling overpriced HDMI cables to idiots by comparing them to RCA cables in the stores will always have me sneering at any of their offerings, even if some of their stuff is actually 'good'.

I do that partly because I am a snob for companies that push overpriced crap in a dishonest way, and partly in principle.

So you have a problem with their HDMI cables, so you pop low blows at their headphones?  Makes no sense whatsoever.  "I don't like UE's customer service, so their headphones must be overpriced crap"... That statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is just wrong. Now, replace UE with Monster and customer service to marketing techniques and you'll get a variation of what you just said. It's a false cause, since when did marketing techniques have anything to do with how the sound vs price scale is set? 

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:

That is not a fair judgement because the Turbine and Miles Davis line of theirs are really popular as "audiophile 'phones" We just have to differentiate their products, that's all. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
So you have a problem with their HDMI cables, so you pop low blows at their headphones?  Makes no sense whatsoever.  "I don't like UE's customer service, so their headphones must be overpriced crap"... That statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is just wrong. Now, replace UE with Monster and customer service to marketing techniques and you'll get a variation of what you just said. It's a false cause, since when did marketing techniques have anything to do with how the sound vs price scale is set? 

Like I said, I snob their products because of their unethical sales practices. I made no reference to UE so that's just putting words in my mouth. It's not a false cause to snob companies with questionable practices. It's what I do and it's my opinion.

"Since when did marketing techniques have anything to with how the sound vs price scale is set?"

Well, aggressive marketing costs a hell of a lot of money and when one divulges into these heavily marketed products a whole heap of marketing overhead is slapped onto the cost price of that particular headphone, raising its selling price but not necessarily raising the sound performance in line with that price increase. It's simple cost accounting along with the psychology of marketing. This is how the consumer oriented part of the market works, all Monster products are consumer oriented. Yes, even consumer oriented products can be 'audiophile' grade. Since when did listening to good quality music become so hipster like?

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 30

Quote:

I do agree with you, and i do feel the same, I try to avoid them, i hate their business model. But you have to remember that most of the time, they are completely different divisions, they usually have no relations at all. 

for e.g. Samsung's mobile phone division has almost no relations with Samsung's laptop division and their business model is very different as well.

Apple is the only company i can think off the top of my head that isn't like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back