Nokia N97
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha...X1 killer definitely; possible iPhone killer?

^^Yeah; N95 8 GB owner here.

The specs on the N97 are awesome. iPhone killer? Me thinks not due to the screen (resistive FTL) and the OS (S60 is a bit old). Otherwise I like what I see.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed!
I would prefer a better camera though, I know someone will say just buy a camera, but you can't beat having a decent camera built into a device you ALWAYS have on you.

The new Nokias with 5megapixels have very decent sensors (for a 5 mpx phone cam). Last I checked, they're the 5mpx sensor to beat. The one that could beat them now though is the sensor from the Samsung Innov8.

I'm a little bit disappointed Nokia didn't include a Xenon and (N85's) LED screen with the N97. With this phone, I think the merge of the N and E series is in the air(?).

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Nokias with 5megapixels have very decent sensors (for a 5 mpx phone cam). Last I checked, they're the 5mpx sensor to beat. The one that could beat them now though is the sensor from the Samsung Innov8.

I'm a little bit disappointed Nokia didn't include a Xenon and (N85's) LED screen with the N97. With this phone, I think the merge of the N and E series is in the air(?).

The 5megapixel sensor on my N95 8gig is good, but compared to an old 5 and even an old 3.2megapixel standalone cameras my dad's got lying about, it looks quite poor. This is to be expected, as the lens quality isn't going to be as good on the phone, but it wouldn't hurt putting a better lens or more pixels into it, as top tier n series phones have normally always had basically the best specs you can get at the time of release.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 30
I did consider changing my N95, but then I would have to give up the remote control facility and the rather decent camera lens protector. I hardly do any texting, so the KB isn't a big deal for me.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 30
Not to mention that they use a Carl Zeiss lens... the macro shots its capable of are really good.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #21 of 30
Interesting. 2009 will be a year packed full of amazing touch-screen phones. I can't wait to see next-gen Omnias, HTC Touch [insert cool abbreviation], iPhones, T-Mobile G2, etc... I am slightly wary of the potentially fiddly and socially awkward flip-up mechanism though. Also, we don't need more megapixels (8MP is more than enough). Instead, give us better lens, faster AF, larger sensors and xenon flashes.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. 2009 will be a year packed full of amazing touch-screen phones. I can't wait to see next-gen Omnias, HTC Touch [insert cool abbreviation], iPhones, T-Mobile G2, etc... I am slightly wary of the potentially fiddly and socially awkward flip-up mechanism though. Also, we don't need more megapixels (8MP is more than enough). Instead, give us better lens, faster AF, larger sensors and xenon flashes.

I agree with you. People seem to think that the quality of digital images is all about megapixels though, if a phone has more than another its automatically better in some people's eyes. My mates samsung g600 has the same megapixels as my N95, but the lens is absolutely tiny in diameter in comparison, and it can't possibly take pictures as well.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 30
After reading up on it a bit more, the touch screen is not multi touch like an iphones, which means all the cool zooming etc. you can do on a iphone by "pinching" at the page cannot be done on this.
A little bit of a bummer, but still looks set to be a great phone.
Wonder what the SQ will be like
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a sneaky feeling the "pinching"/"spreading" multitouch gestures are patented.

It'd be a shame if it was, it would certainly limit any other manurfacturers using it, and I'm not a fan of the iphone.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #26 of 30
Any idea what speed the CPU runs at? Nokia is notorious for spec'ing stupid slow processors. One of the reasons I went to Samsung. Oh, and I'm done with moveable parts on mobiles.

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea what speed the CPU runs at? Nokia is notorious for spec'ing stupid slow processors. One of the reasons I went to Samsung. Oh, and I'm done with moveable parts on mobiles.

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm sure google will tell you, but i'm on my phone atm so it would take a while.
Personally, i can't wait for 4g phones, so we can use the internet truly like we do at home, with hardly any waiting times and no limitations with flash or anything. Few years off yet though.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #28 of 30
I hear the new ARM processors are scalable to 800MHz, which is impressive to say the least. My Samsung does 624MHz which is such a massive difference over my previous Nokia. With interfaces getting heavier and heavier, either smart programming or brute force CPUs are needed to make the things useful. I hope Nokia wised up to usable CPU selections.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure to be honest. I'm sure google will tell you, but i'm on my phone atm so it would take a while.
Personally, i can't wait for 4g phones, so we can use the internet truly like we do at home, with hardly any waiting times and no limitations with flash or anything. Few years off yet though.

Isnt it only sprint (at least in the US) that is planning the 4g roll out in 09? or is verizon taking part to?

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt it only sprint (at least in the US) that is planning the 4g roll out in 09? or is verizon taking part to?

Couldn't tell you mate, I'm in the UK myself so I don't know.
I'd say we're a good while off yet.
We'll probably be listening to 64GB iPod touches, sennheiser HD1000's, Westone 4's and the like before 4g arrives
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back