Nokia N95 Sound Quality
Aug 4, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nocturnal310..

SE has always been known for their marketing gimmicks... cybershot for example is popular for being camera centric phones, but their flagship k850 is bettered by chaepo nokia 6220c and samsung g600... let-alone the walkman; w980 is indeed better than most of previous walkman but i can bet that it cant beat moto e8, nokia n91- soundwise...

Its only on recent phones that Sony seems to be struggling. In the past they were better compared to the competition. There seems to a problem with the K850 camera, a few places have reported that. What I like about the Sony's is they generally have decent battery life, and are a good size.

When it comes to SQ I don't think anyone who is very demanding is going to be happy with the SQ from a phone. I was happy with the SQ out of my W810i for occasional use, but battery life was a bigger issue for me.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 42
Sparky191

indeed... i miss the good old days of SE, the time of k750 and w800... they develop very slow.. walkans still dont have any descent DAC/internal ampli (poor SQ and mediocre output), cybershots dont have any 3dchips which stuck them to just QVGA=320x240 30fps video capture (while LG manage to put 740x480 @ 30fps).. and they are also struglling in high-end segmnt as well as the enterprises market + they tend to overprice their phones...

back to SQ, w810 and most of walkmans are good enough for day to day listening but for those who seek pure quality then there are other brnds/models has more better offering than SE...

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #33 of 42
Well, amping the N95 was kind of fun. I got a lot of extension on both ends, but I can't prevent the sound from feeling thin for whatever reason. It's anything but full-bodied. Hiss was non-existent, though.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #34 of 42
The sound quality of Nokia's N series and Sony Ericsson W (walkman series) are decent as a spare source while you are commuting where the outside noise does not permit you to do critical listening anyway. The sound is enjoyable on the road and does not my make ears bleed
rolleyes.gif
, I don't think it is worth to buy or use $50+ headphones on them. In a quiet room any half decent stand alone mp3 player will be a major improvement.

Sound quality wise the best in the industry are considered to be the Motorola ROKR E8 and Samsung i450 comparable to some stand alone players and much better than the iphone. I have no experience with either but have owned and listened a couple N and W series.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #35 of 42
have any of you heard of the walkman series with hacked drivers?
anyway just to bring a question along hoping that some of you would like to help me. Will i notice a big difference with mp3 players and with the modded drivers?

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #37 of 42
mm nop. its a modified audio driver.
yea you can say it's firmware.
i can't compare because this is the only music listening device i have at home:/

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mm nop. its a modified audio driver.
yea you can say it's firmware.
i can't compare because this is the only music listening device i have at home:/

Do you think it improved the sound?

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #41 of 42
it certainly did.
It improved greatly dynamically. i could hear sounds that i've never heard before and it sounds more lively and has slightly better soundstage. Could be me imagining things because i could not compare it directly as changing the drivers frequently to compare can be quite inconvenient.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #42 of 42
I did find the N82 to be rather muddy in the bass department as well as a bit lacking there too
frown.gif
Highs were also a bit harsh but hey, it's a phone!

Will do some more critical listening when my UE10s come back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back