Nokia Music Express 5800 with Grado SR60i?
Jun 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

winwin

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried this setup before? I'm wondering how it will sound. If it will sound better than my Gogear, i might sell my phone and mp3 player and use a 5800 for both phone and mp3 player purposes. I tried my earphones with the 5800 and the sound was very clear and smooth, a bit laid back compared to the gogear and a bit more bassy. But I haven't tried it with a 5800 yet.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 19
Sounds to me like a cool combination. Don't see why it shouldn't work
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 19
The SR60i is considered bright and upfront, so it might just balance everything out.
Go try and post some results
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 19
I'll have to try that out, my headphones arrive in the place i'm studying yesterday, unfortunately, a few house before the headphones arrived, I came home to my hometown, I wasn't able to bring it along to try it with my cousin's 5800. Hehehe but from what I heard, SR60i lacks bass, so maybe the bass of 5800 could fill that up. Hope it could get the SR60i to reasonable volumes though, considering full volume on IEMs are just enough and that SR60i has a higher impedance.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 19
...'full volume on iems was just enough' .. holy ears batman! Turn it down, while you can still hear!
You really shouldn't need to be anywhere near full volume - your ears will adjust to volume,, so knock it back 50%, and listen a while, let your ears settle
The grado's should be fine, they are very easy to drive.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...'full volume on iems was just enough' .. holy ears batman! Turn it down, while you can still hear!
You really shouldn't need to be anywhere near full volume - your ears will adjust to volume,, so knock it back 50%, and listen a while, let your ears settle
The grado's should be fine, they are very easy to drive.

What I meant was that to be able to hear it loud enough, you need to be on full volume... It's not really that loud even at full volume.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 19
you should be able to dump some .wav or mp3's on a memory stick, and go to a nokia store (if there's one near you)

people are usually willing to fill out strange requests, i find. especially boring jobs.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 19
my m50 is driven well enough by my 5800.. at 3/4th volume its loud enough. ive never gone past that mark. its even louder if instead of headphone out you select line out when you plug in the 'phones

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayeshrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my m50 is driven well enough by my 5800.. at 3/4th volume its loud enough. ive never gone past that mark. its even louder if instead of headphone out you select line out when you plug in the 'phones

Even on line out, can u say it still gives the same quality as if u selected headphone mode? Can u say that the 5800's sound quality could be considered as better than a DAC or even on par with it?

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even on line out, can u say it still gives the same quality as if u selected headphone mode? Can u say that the 5800's sound quality could be considered as better than a DAC or even on par with it?

line out mode in nokia 5800xm is louder than the headphone mode, i used to have 5800 music phone with v20 firmware and it drives my nuforce ne-7m very well...yet its much better to get a 16gb of memory card then rip your music to 256kps or much better on 320kbps for better music listening...like i said i use to have but i sell it for blackberry 8900 javelin and i found out that nokia 5800 music player w/ v20 is more dynamic that my blackberry 8900 yet, i still have to upgrade the firmware on my blackberry 8900 and lets see if it equates or even surpass the music player of nokia 5800...

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
line out mode in nokia 5800xm is louder than the headphone mode, i used to have 5800 music phone with v20 firmware and it drives my nuforce ne-7m very well...yet its much better to get a 16gb of memory card then rip your music to 256kps or much better on 320kbps for better music listening...like i said i use to have but i sell it for blackberry 8900 javelin and i found out that nokia 5800 music player w/ v20 is more dynamic that my blackberry 8900 yet, i still have to upgrade the firmware on my blackberry 8900 and lets see if it equates or even surpass the music player of nokia 5800...

How can u compare it's sound with an ipod's? Would it sound better?

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 19
it sounds a tad warmer than my ipod classic (and has a custom eq), and the sound quality is almost as good. there's actually no much difference to my ears. if a phone did actually OUTCLASS a very popular portable media player, dont you think everyone would be talking about it? and yeah quality is same on headphone out and line out modes.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayeshrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it sounds a tad warmer than my ipod classic (and has a custom eq), and the sound quality is almost as good. there's actually no much difference to my ears. if a phone did actually OUTCLASS a very popular portable media player, dont you think everyone would be talking about it? and yeah quality is same on headphone out and line out modes.

Well, not really, maybe it's another case where people really won't expect that a music playing phone would play better than a DAC and never try it out.
atsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 19
hmm yeah its possible.. but ive tried it out..
smily_headphones1.gif
its very close to an ipod in terms of sq. i think gsmarena said it was as good as any good pmp.. and they're usually very anti-nokia, so......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back