Nokia AD-15
Oct 11, 2006 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lalelale

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I own a nokia 6630 (great phone), and tried to use it as a portable audio source; then, i bought a cheap no-brand adapter similar to the nokia AD-15 (but without the unconvenient box): the sound quality in my (not amped) headphones is horrible; i'm no audiophile but I'd say it is very weak in bass and treble, and the sound is much less clear than with any random single-AAA powered mp3 USB key. I tried with different earbuds and also tried connecting it to my T-AMP at home: when AMPed it seems better, but not by much. The problem should not be in software since I tried, oggplay, powerMp3 and the built-in decoder and obtained identical results.

Most people won't even notice the problem, but the lower quality is apparent to me even when listening in a noisy envoronment -- and I'm not accustomed to high-end components.

Because I've read some positive comments about the 6630 sound quality in this forum as well, I'm suspecting that my adapter is to blame: do you know if the Nokia AD-15 contains some components -- maybe a small cheapo amplifier?

Thanks a lot, bye

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 5
i have an ad-15 and i don't really use it that often. i have an n73 and a 6682.

you do have to consider that the 6630, just like any other phone from nokia, isn't designed for audiophile listening. they just won't sound as good as a regular (even cheap ones) mp3 player.

i don't think the ad-15 has an amplifier built-in. it's just a pop-port to stereo adapter.

Oct 12, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 5
Sure, but I think that it does not take an audiophile to notice that the sound quality is absolutely weak: the difference is noticeable even with cheapo earbuds...

It's acceptable to me that Nokia does not focus on mp3 sound quality. Just, I'm astonished that many reviewers say that the sound quality is "pretty good": it sounds horrible even compared to the cheapest mp3 player!
confused.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Before using my current Rig. I was fully hooked on a Nokia 6630 + AD-15 + A few entry level earbuds. Honestly, the only reason I sold them off for a dedicated DAP was because of space limitation. I needed more than 1GB. So off they go and now I am happy with my 5GB ZEN Neeon.

Sound Quality wise, AD-15 will transform a stock Nokia 6630 to some really good DAP. And I loved the uncolored output. I played my tunes using OggPlay and LAME 320Kbps. But they do have some problem with driving higher impedance headphones specially those above 32Ohms. But if you stick with 16Ohms earbuds or canalphones they can be trully enjoyable. And yes make sure to use original AD-15 - accept no substitute!

Oct 13, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Before using my current Rig. I was fully hooked on a Nokia 6630 + AD-15 + A few entry level earbuds. Honestly, the only reason I sold them off for a dedicated DAP was because of space limitation. I needed more than 1GB. So off they go and now I am happy with my 5GB ZEN Neeon.

Sound Quality wise, AD-15 will transform a stock Nokia 6630 to some really good DAP. And I loved the uncolored output. I played my tunes using OggPlay and LAME 320Kbps. But they do have some problem with driving higher impedance headphones specially those above 32Ohms. But if you stick with 16Ohms earbuds or canalphones they can be trully enjoyable. And yes make sure to use original AD-15 - accept no substitute!

So I am probably right, the no-brand adapter is to blame. As soon as I find a real AD-15 I'll test. But this would mean that the AD-15 contains some electronics, else I don't explain how my adapter would be able to disrupt the sound so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back