Noisy school studio environment headphones/help amp
Nov 23, 2009 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kayaker3057

Head-Fier
Ok, so this is my first post here. I have been reading on this site for the last two or three weeks extensively. I currently have a pair of Sony MDRNC7's. I have listened to Dr. Dre Beats, all versions of Bose headphones, and a pair of Grado Sr-60. So I really am a newbie as far as listening to headphones goes. I was a car audio nut, and am making the transition to headphones. I am an architecture student and work in a large(and consequently loud) studio environment for several hours a day. I listen to music from a laptop via mostly mp3 and some lossless.(I am in process of converting most to lossless) I listen to mostly rock, easy listening music, and classical. Coldplay, Switchfoot, John Mayer, etc. I am willing to spend up to $3-400, but would like to stay closer to $300.

What is important to me:
-balanced sound with forward mids
-must be comfortable
-must be closed, full sized
-detachable cord is a plus
-a thick cord is a plus
-on-ear is not acceptable at all, period
-amp/dac must be able run without batteries(either wall or usb powered)

Headphones I am already considering:
-Ultrasone pro750s
-Maestro GMP 8.35D(This is my 1st choice so far, although I don't care for how they look, although MB Quart produces the sound I like the best in car audio)
-Shure SRH840

USB DAC/amp I am considering:
-NuForce Icon
-HA NG27
-AUNE HIFIDIY.NET mini USB DAC + amp
-Hifiman EF2(maybe, at the very extreme top of my budget for that portion)

I appreciate your help/comments/suggestions very much! Thanks!

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 18
My recommendation are:

1. GMP 8.35 D Monitor.
2. K-271 MKll (if you love the balanced sound with forward mids)
3. You can try any other Ultrasone just not the 750.

What is your music source, the computer?

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker3057 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, my laptop is my music source. Thanks.

1. Native Instruments AUDIO KONTROL 1.
2. Echo DJ Indigo, PCI card.
3. PreSonus Firebox.

4. If you have a Mac you can go for the Apogee Duet, or the Mini DAC.

You can try to find them used on ebay.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 18
What's the portability of the Ultrasones like? How do they look, and do they provide decent isolation?

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 18
Might want to stay away from the shures,

I noticed they don' clamp too well. So moving about with them would result in them falling off.

How you thought about in-ear monitors?

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 18
The Beyer dt250 meets all your requirements. Haven't heard the others you mentioned. If you do a google search on 'beyerdynamic dt250 review' you should find some good information on them.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the responses.

I love the look of the Native Instruments!

Is that the only reason you would stay away from the Shures? I sit at a desk and work on the computer. In-ear headphones make my ears hurt, alot. I tried my friend's Bose in-ears and they were comfortable, for like 5 mins.

The Beyer DT250 looks like it could be a winner, although I hate the curly cords! Is there a straight replacement available? I'll have to check. So what amp/dac pairs well with these?

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 18
M50 with straight cable fits this well.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker3057 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer DT250 looks like it could be a winner, although I hate the curly cords! Is there a straight replacement available? I'll have to check. So what amp/dac pairs well with these?

Don't know about the cable, but the 80ohm version won't be fussy about the amp. You can get the emu 0404 pretty cheap these days...very decent amp and dac for the money...but they sound just as good out of my portable CD player or close to it anyway.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 18
lejaz, thanks for the suggestion, because after much debating and researching, i think those are the ones I am going to go with. I am gonna get the 250 ohm version so that later on when I do get an amp/dac setup, they will be better suited for that. I have read that the 250 ohm ones do quite well from unamped sources as well. Thanks so much for your help guys!

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My recommendation are:

1. GMP 8.35 D Monitor.

I'm tired of you recommending them in every thread! ... mainly because I haven't listened to them yet ...
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back