Noises static when using USB DAC/Amp?
Dec 2, 2018 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pipps

New Head-Fier
When listening to IEMs through a USB DAC/Amp, I hear static and interference noises from time to time.

What is the cause of this and how can I prevent it please?

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 6
When listening to IEMs through a USB DAC/Amp, I hear static and interference noises from time to time.

What is the cause of this and how can I prevent it please?

Try a different USB port on the computer. Unless the noise is absolutely constant other than for volume levels, chances are it has to do with USB power delivery inconsistency and lack of noise filtering.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 6
It is a simple USB-powered Fostex PC-100USB-HR2.

Connected to a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 or its Surface Dock. Often it operates silent(ish), but sometimes noises and crackles occur.

To remove all electrical noise, would it be necessary to interpose something like a Schiit Wyrd into the USB power line?

Or would it be better with an all-in-one solution such as the Grace M900 which apparently eliminates USB bus jitter?

Thanks for your replies and further guidance.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 6
It is a simple USB-powered Fostex PC-100USB-HR2.

Connected to a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 or its Surface Dock. Often it operates silent(ish), but sometimes noises and crackles occur.

To remove all electrical noise, would it be necessary to interpose something like a Schiit Wyrd into the USB power line?

No guarantees it will work with your particular problem though. In some cases what happens with an external USB power cleaner like this is that the host device only sees the power cleaner, not the DAC that it is supposed to be connected to. It's not common but it has happened.

Or would it be better with an all-in-one solution such as the Grace M900 which apparently eliminates USB bus jitter?

Probably a better option although jitter has more to do with data transmission than power. If the problem has more to do with power though that one can still deal with it as it has a separate USB port for USB power. Just note that like with anything running from wall power, you're going to have separate cables going into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back