Noise when moving mouse (HDSP 9632)
Jun 18, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 60
Try muting any unused (or used for that matter) inputs, such as microphone or line-in's.

Jun 19, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
This noise is referred as "blitter noise" and it is generated by the 2D accelerating portion of the video card's chipset.

Amazing. I just learned something new. Excellent work, breez.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by motu
A high-pitched low-volume noise is generated whenever I move my mouse both in windows and in linux (kde), although when I move the mouse outside X, there's no noise.

In windows, the ordinary way to solve this would be to mute all unnecessary inputs - cd, modem, mic, etc. But I have a HDSP 9632 whose drivers doesn't work that way. There's no windows mixer element, and whatever I do in totalmix (mute everything), the noise just won't go away.

I'm fairly sure the problem is linked to my graphics card, since there's also a noise when maximizing a window. That's probably also why the noise issue only exist while in X in linux.

The noise is not only existent in the headphone output, but also in the line output, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the phone amplification circuit in the sound card.

Has anyone had similar experiences, especially owners of RME cards? How did you solve this? Please help, it's driving me nuts.

Hi

I had this issue with Audigy 2 card, and it turned out to be a wrong type (?) of audio cable connected between CD/RW -drive and Audigy 2 (3 vs 4 wires).

I could trap it by muting Inputs (soundcard) one at the time (when CD input was muted all noises were gone).

If I remember right, the cable bundled with Audigy was the one causing somekind of 'grounding' problem (eg. cable with 4 wires).

One strange thing on this issue was that
- when using original ASIO drivers there were no extra noises -> noising occurred only with WDM / MME drivers.

jiitee

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 60
Two words: new motherboard
frown.gif

No offense, but that is what you get for sticking a $600 sound card on a $40 motherboard, especially when you can have something nice like an MSI or Gigabyte for about $80. I've heard problems like this a few times, and they were always related to a trashy motherboard in the end. Comes down to the fact that there isn't much sense in building your own computer if you don't use a high-quality motherboard and power supply.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 60
I used to have similar problems, but cured them with a motherboard/sound card/psu/grounding upgrade (did it all at once, impossible to say which one fixed it).

You can try any of the following (with alternating amount of success):

- ground your motherboards ground plane to the PSU (use a thick enough cable). Some PSUs have this kind of grounding cable built-in

- ground your CPU heatsink to the chassis using a thick cable

- make sure your PSU is connected to a grounded outlet (with no spurious noises on the ground)

- build a wrapper (as described in an earlier post) for your sound card. This didn't help my situation at all, btw. And it doesn't cut RFI much at all.

- Try another PCI slot (even if it's no the farthest from the PSU)

- ensure it's not the noise on the mains line via the computer PSU (i.e. don't hook up another active audio component to the sound card, but plug headphones straight in and listen if you can still hear the noise)

- swap your PSU (i'd do this first than swap your mobo). A good PSU would be something like the new Seasonic S12 series (if you need a fan) or Etasis (if you want a passive psu).

- swap your mobo (to another manufacturer/chipset/better brand).

Those are the things that come to my mind based on my experience.

Best of luck debugging.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 60
Do you have any "floating" inputs? A recording input that is active and possibly boosted yet has no signal applied?

Try muting any inputs your not using and it may clear it up... This may have been mentioned before.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 60
Yep, everything is muted. Must be some kind of distortion coming from the graphics card via the motherboard to the sound card. I've mounted the sound card as far as possible from the graphics card, and also plugged in the mouse as far away from the sound card as possible.

Aero seems not only to be quicker than basic, but also quieter XD

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #24 of 60
I have the same problem as most here except it's always on. I assume it's just cheap hardware that is causing some distortion on the audio connections on the inside of my computer. Wondering if there is anyway to at least cover it up somehow.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #26 of 60
How do you go about turning off microphone boost? I might have done something of the sort a long time ago when I had a cheap microphone that was too soft.

I still think it's just a crappy connection, since I can hear the sound change a little when changing windows and moving the mouse.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 60
Is the card based on a C media chip? Are you using ASIO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back