Noise Leakage with portable headphones
Jul 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mpkelley20

New Head-Fier
Been using inner ear headphones for years but just received a set of Sennheiser HD-25-1 II headphones thanks to gift certificates from Amazon.  I LOVE the way these sound but they seem to have terrible noise leakage based on what my wife is telling.  Yes, I listen to music too loud but....

Anyway, are there any headphones with a similar sound to the HD25-1's but handle noise leakage better?  I am looking for something around the size of the Sennheisers as they will be used mainly with my portable devices. I am not looking for another inner ear style as I still love my ER4P's. 

Any suggestions? All the reviews I've read on headphones from a previous thread I started seem to deal with noise isolation for the listener rather than the surrounding people.  I like to be courteous to those around me on the train and planes.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, I didn't get any responses so either no one knows or my question was missed over the U.S. holiday weekend.  I did do a bit or reserach on my end prior to posting and everything i could find on noise leakage was mostly due to it affecting sound quality, no so much affecting people around the listener.

I also read some posts and reviews that said the HD25-1 ii are very good for preventing noise leakage....however, I am not experiencing this so that is what led to my post.  However, I haven't given up on the the HD25's just yet.  I did order a set of the TMA-1's which I will have today to try out.  I've heard and read good things about them...yes, I know they will have a different sound than the HD25's but I am looking forward to trying them and seeing how they handle sound leakage.

still interested in hearing other recommendations for a set of portable headphoes that limit noise leakage.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Been playing around with the TMA-1's for a little while and I can't believe how different they are to the HD25-1's.  Crazy!!  I am not an audiophile so the best way I can describe it is that the HD25's sound like I'm listening in stereo whereas the TMA-1's sound like surround sound.  Guess that is maybe the"soundstage" aspect that the HD25's lack. 

The TMA's fit verry loose compred to the HD's but somehow give way better noise leakage protection.  My wife had to come right up to me to hear it vs. the HD's which she could hear from across the room.  They provide less noise isolation compared to the HD's so I am a bit confused.  Weird!

I know a lot of people complained about the loose fitting headband and it does bother me a bit but I wouldn;t wear these running or anything like that.

Overall fit I like the HD-25's better.  Sound qaulity....guess it depends what I am listening top since they sound so different.

Not sure what to do....never should have come to this forum....
wink_face.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Very interesting. The HD-25 is one of the best portable cans in terms of isolation, so I would've assumed that they wouldn't leak very much noise either. Were you getting a good seal on your ears?

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 5
I've tried every possible position with the HD-25's and I get WAY BETTER noise isolation than the TMA-1's but worse sound leakage....very confused.  I assume the better noise isolation is because I am getting a good seal.  With the TMA-1's on, I hear much more surround noise yet my wife cannot hear the music unless she comes right up to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back