Noise in my system.
May 22, 2024 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PinkyPowers

Reviewer: The Headphone List
There is intermittent noise I can hear from time to time, from both my powered monitors and headphones. Even when no music is playing.

Last night I installed the iFi Power Station, and all my audio gear is running off that. This did not resolve the issue.

Is it possible my phone, or maybe my wireless phone charger is causing it? Or some BT dongle? All of which is near by to my audio equipment.

System: Bifrost 2/64 fed via USB > Violectric V281 > Speakers/Headphones

May 22, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 7
ahh the intermittent problem, either the ghost in the machine, that's bad. maybe its a connection issue, not as bad. simple system so good luck

May 22, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 7
There is intermittent noise I can hear from time to time, from both my powered monitors and headphones. Even when no music is playing.

Last night I installed the iFi Power Station, and all my audio gear is running off that. This did not resolve the issue.

Is it possible my phone, or maybe my wireless phone charger is causing it? Or some BT dongle? All of which is near by to my audio equipment.

System: Bifrost 2/64 fed via USB > Violectric V281 > Speakers/Headphones
Are there any power cables leaning up against the interconnects? Depending on shielding and sensitivity of the equipment that could contribute to the issue. BT can also interfere with the audio signal as well (I turn it off if a DAC has it). The wireless phone charger might be an issue, but that depends on brand, model, and placement. I live in an apartment where the power is not that clean, but I have all my gear hooked up to an APC UPS with 0 noise even when powering my RP600ms in near field. Troubleshooting is always a lengthy process unfortunately.

May 22, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 7
May 22, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Are there any power cables leaning up against the interconnects? Depending on shielding and sensitivity of the equipment that could contribute to the issue. BT can also interfere with the audio signal as well (I turn it off if a DAC has it). The wireless phone charger might be an issue, but that depends on brand, model, and placement. I live in an apartment where the power is not that clean, but I have all my gear hooked up to an APC UPS with 0 noise even when powering my RP600ms in near field. Troubleshooting is always a lengthy process unfortunately.
I've recently upgraded nearly my entire system, so it's hard to be sure exactly when the noise began. But the first time I noticed it, was after I added an extension power cord so I could run my right studio monitor's power from the same power strip as the left. That cable does run along the back of my desk, and could be interfering with the interconnects. Its an Amazon Basics power cable. So it's entirely possible it's not shielded well.

My interconnects are these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HQRS32

They seemed like they'd be quite good at signal transfer and noise isolation.

May 22, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 7
I've recently upgraded nearly my entire system, so it's hard to be sure exactly when the noise began. But the first time I noticed it, was after I added an extension power cord so I could run my right studio monitor's power from the same power strip as the left. That cable does run along the back of my desk, and could be interfering with the interconnects. Its an Amazon Basics power cable. So it's entirely possible it's not shielded well.

My interconnects are these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HQRS32

They seemed like they'd be quite good at signal transfer and noise isolation.
I don't know if these will perform any better for you, but these are the cables I use
https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Balanced-Microphone-NC3MXX-B-NC3FXX-B/dp/B00VFGUCHY?ref_=ast_sto_dp
https://corpsecable.com/collections...nterconnects-3-pin-xlr?variant=12432781049950
The WBC XLRs I am using a 1.5 foot pair, but they are sold out at the moment (using them to connect from Mjolnir 3 to a pair of Gjallarhorns). As for the Corps Cables they are a new addition to my setup connecting my Bifrost 2/64 to the Mjolnir 3. I don't use any aftermarket power cables at present (I do own one, but not in use). The WBCs are a little thicker, and I have noticed reduced noise with the ones in my living room when hooked up to Mackie MR624 monitors.
Using pair of these for the Mackies https://www.amazon.com/WORLDS-BEST-CABLES-Foot-Microphone/dp/B0C942PZC3?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 7
ahh the intermittent problem, either the ghost in the machine, that's bad. maybe its a connection issue, not as bad. simple system so good luck
I think I fixed it! One of the XLR interconnects between DAC and Amp wasn't fully engaged. I pushed on all of them and one went in another few centimeters.

I've been listening for the last hour and haven't heard any moments where the noise comes back... so fingers crossed! I may have resolved this one! And it only cost me $750 for an iFi Power Station I didn't need!

Oh well. I was planning on buying a line conditioner sometime down the road anyway, just to get the most out of my system and any future upgrades. This just forced my hand early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back