Noise/Hum coming from Headphones (probably AMP issue?)
Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

k3lt

New Head-Fier
Ive been reading up on this on different forums but havent realy been able to find a solution to my problem, so basically i hear very soft static kinda noise in my headphones. (Takstar Pro 80 but tested with other headphones aswell)

The buzzing happens ONLY if i select "Headphones" as my analog output in Xonar Audio Center (headphones are connected directly to soundcard, im not using front panel), when i change it to "2 Speakers" the buzzing is gone so i guess it's somehow related to AMP (?). I have tightened all the screws , disabled all extra output and input devices, onboard soundcard disabled in bios even tried disconnecting my GPU since the soundcard is fairly close, so i though it may be causing some intereference, but nothing has changed, i just cant make it stop making noise.

Also i tried to enable my integrated Realtek soundcard and test with it aswell, and i can confirm the noise is also there using integrated soundcard if analog out is Headphones. (and again, when i choose Speakers it's gone)

If i wont resolve it i will probably stick to using "2 speakers" as analog out (wearing headphones), i mean what are the biggest cons of it? Besides the lack of AMP, both "2 Speakers" and "Headphones" are using 2 audio channels right?

Any experts could give me some advice?

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
Xonar DGX and Realtek ALC892
Windows 10 x64
All drivers etc. are up 2 date (for Xonar i'm using Unified drivers)

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Couple of thoughts.

1.) check your ground.  A bad ground can cause all kinds of problems with noise.   

2.) Check for an  impedance mismatch between your headphones and your amp.   Not all amps are appropriate for all headphones.   If memory serves, both the Xonar and the Realtek setups require a high impedance headphone to work well.  Try finding some headphones with 50+ ohm impedance and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, it is most likely the mismatch between the card and the headphones.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Takstar Pro 80 have 60Ω impedance..
How can i check ground? If you mean wall plug it's grounded..
Also please remember it happens only when i'm using Headphones as analog out, when i change it to "2 speakers" the noise is gone, i think with ground issues it would be noisy all the time, no?
Anyway thanks for replying!

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 6
I was thinking ground loop since it happens with the built in realtek and the card.    That would suggest something systemic rather than a fault with the card.  Have you tried any other headphones with the computer?   I guess it is always possible the headphone itself has an issue.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Still sounds to me like something in the PC is interfering with the soundcard.  It might be something like radio frequency interference etc rather than ground loop, but the fact that it happens with multiple devices suggests a common cause rather than a faulty part.    Options at this point would be:

1.)  unplug everything you don't need running and try it then.
2.)  Move any internal wiring so it is as far as possible from sound related hardware.
3.)  Make sure the headphone cable isn't draped over a power cord or fluorescent desk lamp etc.
4.)  Move the soundcard to as slot as far away from the power supply and other cards as possible.
5.) Try the soundcard and headphones in a friends PC and see if the problems move with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back