noise from PC: can't locate source, please help!
Apr 17, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 40
  Remember that I switched out the power supply on the PC and had the same problem.
Anyway, I now have the plugs, so I'll experiment later tonight.
Thanks!

Did you swap the PS for another identical unit? Same make/model?  We're dealing with design issues here, not failures or random defects.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 40
OK, I've got the PC, DAC, and amp all plugged into 3-to-2 prong adapters, with the ground wires running as follows: DAC to PC case; PC to amp chassis; amp to PC case.

Same noise.

Could this still be a ground loop issue? I'm starting to doubt it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 40
  OK, I've got the PC, DAC, and amp all plugged into 3-to-2 prong adapters, with the ground wires running as follows: DAC to PC case; PC to amp chassis; amp to PC case.

Same noise.

Could this still be a ground loop issue? I'm starting to doubt it.

Try grounding one unit, possibly the DAC, using the power cord ground, but keep all other wires in place.

Is there anything else connected to the PC?  I assume a monitor, but what else?  You'll want to disconnect each device one at a time and listen.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 40
  Try grounding one unit, possibly the DAC, using the power cord ground, but keep all other wires in place.

Is there anything else connected to the PC?  I assume a monitor, but what else?  You'll want to disconnect each device one at a time and listen.

What do you mean by "leave the other wires in place"? I have tried grounding the PC to the amp chassis. Then I added the amp and DAC grounding wires, running to the PC. If I ground only the DAC that would mean disconnecting the ground wires of the others.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 40
SOLVED IT!!
I just went back to the system just now and it was dead quiet. How'd that happen??
I don't know. So I started unplugging the grounds. DAC ground out. Still quiet. PC ground out. Still quiet.
Amp ground.... aaaand, that's it. I didn't even need to attach the ground to anything. Just having the ground removed does the trick!

So, why didn't I hear that last night? No clue.
Glad it's fixed, though. Thanks for your help, pinnahertz!

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #27 of 40
  So I'm told it is absolutely not safe to unground the amp. What to do now?!

"Absolutely not safe" is pretty strong.

The only issue would be a failure where the power hot wire connected to, or partially coupled to the chassis energizing it, and you then touch the chassis while some other portion of your body is grounded.  The chances of that are extremely remote, and would likely blow a breaker.  The chassis is already grounded through the external wire (if you still have it in place) and the signal wires.  

The hazards are not zero of course, there's always a risk.  But there's always a risk when you use electrical equipment, even when it's "grounded" with the power cord.  

I wouldn't worry, but it's your call.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #28 of 40
This scares me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug#Safety

What are my other options? I'm assuming grounding the USB isn't possible without getting one of those devices that limits the frequency of audio files.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #29 of 40
Did you read the statistics? You are more than 5X more likely to be struck and killed by lightning in any given year than be electrocuted by an ungrounded device.

Alternative? Get an isolation transformer and power your amp from that, then it no longer needs to be grounded to be safe.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 40
Did you read the statistics? You are more than 5X more likely to be struck and killed by lightning in any given year than be electrocuted by an ungrounded device.

Alternative? Get an isolation transformer and power your amp from that, then it no longer needs to be grounded to be safe.

So what's the safest way to set this up? Running a wire from the tab on the 3-to-2 plug to the PC case and from the PC case to the amp ground/chassis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back