Noise from 0404 USB.
Jul 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Goophy

New Head-Fier
When I connect the 0404-card to any amp with the double jacks or the minijack output I can hear a pretty loud buzzing noise with some pulses every 2-3 seconds.

Adjusting the volume does not make any difference and the headphone-output has no noise at all.

Tried several good cables and there are nothing that could disturb the signal anywhere near the cables.

When using a CD-player or turntable with the amps, there is no noise at all.

Anyone know why the 0404 (probably?) makes that awful buzzing noise?

Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

Edit: The ground lift switches only made it worse.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Is there noise when you plug your headphones into MiniJack or TRS outputs (using adapter if needed)?

Are type of (1/4") jack-plugs stereo or mono (i.e. are you trying to connect balanced (0404) into unbalanced (amp)) (this shouldn't be an issue when you use mini-jack output if the amp input is unbalanced).

jiitee

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 7
No noise when connecting the headphones to minijack or TRS.
Same noise when connecting balanced to balanced and balanced to unbalanced.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goophy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No noise when connecting the headphones to minijack or TRS.
Same noise when connecting balanced to balanced and balanced to unbalanced.

I suppose there's some potential voltage difference (or how it's called in English) between those devices (amp/emu) or the other part (amp(s)) does not have good grounding (do you feel something when you 'smooth down' the metal parts of this device)? Are both equipment using same ground/power line?

I think the DIY sub forum may be better place to solve this issue.

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

jiitee

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Try the ground lift on the 0404usb.
Or see if you can ground it to the same ground as the amp, not sure if the 0404usb has a grounding screw.
PC and amp probably share the same ground anyway so changing circuits probably won't help. (Likely a grounding issue inside the PC.)

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Changing circuits for the amp did actually help.
I'm running the computer and amp on different circuits now too, so I guess they didn't really like to share.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back