Noise-cancelling headphones...
Feb 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

danb7777

New Head-Fier
I have recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-NC60 noise-cancelling headphones.
I HATE THEM!

When I walk around wearing the headphones each step I make is amplified. It's like when your head is underwater in a bath and you tap the side with you hand.

Is this normal? Literally, every step I take is like a loud thudding sound. Is this normal for noise-cancelling headphones in general? Are they only to be used whilst sitting down, and not whilst on the move?

I'm not sure if the headphones are faulty, but they seem to make a wierd thudding sound randomly at times, and only the left one makes a thud when a bus for instance, goes over a bump in the road.

Please offer advice! I'm sending them back, but should I get them replaced? Or give up? Anyhelp would be much appreciated!

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Even the passive noise-cancelling phones (like most IEM's) have some degree of what you call "Bone conduction" which are causing those thuds. It can be alleviated usually with IEM's by wearing them over your ear or using shirt clips, and wearing softer shoes, etc. And some wires deal with this better than some others, I guess your Sonys aren't that good in that sense. But Bone conduction and isolation are somewhat inversely proportional to each other so it's one of those things you have to live with.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 5
If you still want noise cancelling cans, Audio Technica, has a good set that I recommended to a friend who travels alot and loves them. They are cheaper than those bose quietcomfort 2/3 models. Our you can get a set of iem's for isolation.
Good Luck.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 5
I recently bough the Sony cans and have exactly the same problem, glad it's not just me. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should replace them for better ANCs or a pair of IEMs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back