Noise cancelling headphones for hearing protection
Nov 17, 2016 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

monoblocks

Head-Fier
I'll start by saying that it's been a while since I've been back here. Suffice to say that as I get older, high fidelity doesn't matter nearly as much as I once thought it did. Deteriorating hearing will do that. As does persistent visits to the local shooting ranges, often shooting a LOT of 5.56x45 and 300BLK. Even with proper hearing protection it takes a cumulative toll.

The reasons I started this thread involves both audio needs and the need for hearing protection, and the hope that I can do this with a single piece of equipment. I recently sampled a Bose Quietcomfort 35 headset and came away feeling that it's more than adequate for my modest, scaled-down audio listening needs these days, especially given the state of my hearing (some frequency loss, tinnitus, yada, yada). I was even more impressed by its noise cancelling capabilities. I've sold off most of my premium headsets and now only have my old HD800 and HD650 left, mostly kept as reminders of better (listening) days long past. But even those will go at some point, since with my ears I'm not really taking advantage of their sonic capabilities. So a simple, decent sounding, easily portable wireless headset seems like the way for me to go, and the Bose unit feels good enough for the meager task I'm asking for it to fulfill. Then an idea hit.

My old electronic earmuffs--Peltor Tactical 7S--has certainly done yeoman's work but it's seen better day given all the mileage I've put on these. I'd been mulling over the purchase of a replacement set, specifically the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X, which based on reviews works extremely well at controlling the sharp report of ammo detonation. But they're not exactly cheap, usually selling in the $300 to $350 range. Now to an audiophile that sum size is usually considered a paltry pittance, but to a shooter that's a LOT of resources that could be going towards ammunition or reloading powder...or another firearm. Especially pertinent if I'm already thinking about a new set of audio cans.

The Bose 35 also sells in the $350 price bracket, so killing two birds with one 12GA shell of steel No.4 shot suddenly seems like the ideal convergence of a dual-purpose solution...if it's actually feasible to use something like the Bose in this role. I wish I still had my old NC Audio-Technica set to experiment with, but that thing always made music sound like overly tinny crap and even its NC skills were not particularly good.

So has anyone ever tried to use a NC headphone solely for hearing protection? If so, how did it work out?

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm interested in this topic too.  I'm looking for noise protection for yard work (chainsaw, blower, etc.) which I have to do almost every weekend.  I'm thinking about the 3M Worktunes with Bluetooth.  No more wires and good ear protection.  I don't expect to get audiophile quality sound but I also don't want something that sounds terrible and I can't tell from the Amazon reviews if this will be an issue.

So, anyone else try these or other options?  I've been using my Bose QC15s but my sweat tore through the ear pads (they also are wired which is inconvenient while working as I tend to snag the cable on stuff).

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, I tried the 3M's this weekend and I didn't like them. The sound was ok, as would be expected, so that part was at least positive.  However, the muffs don't isolate the noise well enough.  That, combined with the volume limiter, makes it hard to really enjoy tunes as I still heard quite of bit of the noise from my tractor and blower.  So, back to using the QC15s.  Anyone know if there are sweat-proof pads for the Bose?

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I would buy Shure or Westone type iems.  Noise cancelling headphones actually don't block noise from shooting.  It is a frequency that it doesn't do any good.  You can try the mentioned iems with triple flange Shure tips or Shure or Westone foam tips or even Comply foam tips. Noise cancelling headphones only reduce certain frequencies by sending a signal out that disrupts certain frequencies and tones.  They are no good for your purposes.  Iems would greatly reduce all frequencies. Noise cancelling headphones will not save your hearing from those specific sounds.  They are more for constant drone type noises that aren't very loud to begin with.  Their are some people that believe nose cancelling headphones cause cancer too so something to keep in mind.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 8
  I would buy Shure or Westone type iems.  Noise cancelling headphones actually don't block noise from shooting.  It is a frequency that it doesn't do any good.  You can try the mentioned iems with triple flange Shure tips or Shure or Westone foam tips or even Comply foam tips. Noise cancelling headphones only reduce certain frequencies by sending a signal out that disrupts certain frequencies and tones.  They are no good for your purposes.  Iems would greatly reduce all frequencies. Noise cancelling headphones will not save your hearing from those specific sounds.  They are more for constant drone type noises that aren't very loud to begin with.  Their are some people that believe nose cancelling headphones cause cancer too so something to keep in mind.

​Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the Onkyo E700BT and Comply foam tips and will see how that works.  I'm thinking maybe double isolation: one with the foam tips then put a set of passive 3M noise reduction ear muffs on top.

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 8
In ear headphones or over ear muffs that are not headphones that have lots of insulation from sound are best.  Noise cancellation technology does not work and is not meant to reduce those specific sounds.  Enjoy your new toys.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 8
How funny to stumble on this thread as I was just thinking the same thing last night!

I'm a new shooter and want to protect my hearing.  I've heard good things about the Peltor line and even better things about the Sordins.  My idea takes yours and runs with it a bit further...

I've always wanted a nice set of Noble CIEMs but didn't think they'd be worth the cost to me given that when I'm using a portable rig, I'm mostly listening to Joe Rogan podcasts.  Figured that would be a waste of stellar equipment.  However, if the seal from a custom IEM would provide enough hearing protection, without having to wear a bulky over ear cup that could get in the way, is this a route that can work.  Where I was thinking of taking the idea a step further was that maybe there is then a device (or app?) that you could activate with the CIEMs to mimic the Peltor/Sordin technology?  For those unaware, they don't cancel all noise, they are designed to get rid of the sharp crack of the weapon firing, but let through, or even amplify voices.  This is intended so you can not have hearing issues with the harmful noises, but can still hear instructors voices.

TL;DR  can CIEMs + device/app = the ultimate in hearing protection while yielding sonic music benefits?

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, today I tackled the yard after a couple of weeks being out and not being able to take care of it.  I used the Onkyo E700BT IEM's and then put my 3M noise protection earmuff's on top and I have to say that was a great combination!  I got double isolation from the IEM's and the excellent 3M earmuffs and got very good audio quality from the Onkyo IEMs.  Pure bliss.

The only downside was that occasionally I had to lift one of the muffs and reposition the IEM to make sure it was snug in my ear canal.  Also, the cord coming from the IEM's sometimes pressed against the earlobe a bit too much.  All in all though it was great. Highly recommend this kind of pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back