Noise Cancelling headphones for 80-110
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

boo54577

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
My dad's birthday is coming up and I wanna get him noise cancelling headphones for his trip. I'd like to spend around 80-110 dollars and they shouldn't be too bulky. He listens to a wide variety of music ranging from classical, alternative, hard rock/metal and so on. So what would be the best headphones for him. I know the X3s are around 57, but for 20-60 dollars more, there must be a better noise-cancelling, portable headphones.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 23
the zen aurvanas have very good isolation and volume...out of 20+ volume bars... i use 4-5 for the entire subway trip 0.o 2 for when out of tunnels

however.. thats the only thing good or special bout those earphones at the 100 price tag... at its price range, you can definitely get better sound... however, its sound is not bad... but nothing amazing either

also, they are VER light and not bulky.. t also omes with a carrying case pretty easy to use, if tahts what you meant by portable

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by boo54577 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other suggestions?

Edit: Is something like this good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826159701

yeah, those are iems. they cancel more sound than any noise canceling headphone i can think of

i, personally, think that shures are too muddy and unclear. the shure e3g that i have are not nearly as clear as my er6i, which cost less than the e2c

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 23
At that price-range you're better off with entry-level IEMs. Fully active noise canceling headphones won't be very good (both in terms of SQ and NC). The best noise canceling headphone with decent SQ is still the QC3, but it's ridiculously overpriced as with all BOSE products. If you're feeling generous you might want to consider getting a pair of those new Sennheiser noise canceling headphones.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 23
As has been said a bit above here, active noise cancelling headphones are generally not so great, so an IEM will be your best bet. They block out more noise in general, and the sound is also generally better. I'm using X3s, and I frigging love them, but for your price range, I'd say look for Shure E3cs or Ety ER6is. I haven't heard any other IEMs in that price range, but those two are excellent options (and the X3s might be a good present for a friend sometime, though you'll have to get different tips).

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 23
Hmm, OK, I guess I'll go for IEMs. I'm leaning towards the IM716s at the moment. Also, will these headphones come with different size pads so that my dad will be comfortable with the size?

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price-range you're better off with entry-level IEMs. Fully active noise canceling headphones won't be very good (both in terms of SQ and NC). The best noise canceling headphone with decent SQ is still the QC3, but it's ridiculously overpriced as with all BOSE products. If you're feeling generous you might want to consider getting a pair of those new Sennheiser noise canceling headphones.

I agreed with Alchemy. All the noise canceling headphones I owned or tried have not been very good at all. I have the Shure e2c, but I don't find them that great.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back