noise-cancelling earbuds vs noise-cancelling headphones
Jun 9, 2018 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mesmerized

Head-Fier
Howdy,

I've searched and searched but Uncle Google couldn't answer the question.

Would you say that noise-canceling (not noise-isolating) ear buds are worth buying over noise-cancelling headphones?

All I can find online is the difference between noise-isolating earbuds and noise-cancelling headphones. I just need something that will eliminate all those low frequency sounds and I don't really know which would would be better. Is it just a matter of size? I don't think so.

I'm also thinking of getting IEM's, like Fiio F9pro but that's more for everyday use.

Thanks for all answers!

PS. I use Pioneer XDP300R

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 13
Of all the noise-cancelling in-ears, on-ears, and over-ears, I preferred in-ears the most, as they only need to provide NC to your ear canals and not the rest of your ear. Combining this with the in-ears just physically blocking external sounds make NC in-ears the most efficient and most effective at not hearing external sounds. Xiaomi Noise-Cancelling 3.5mm in-ears are highly rated and are $63 at GearBest. With the money you saved on NC in-ears, I also recommend the Massdrop Plus in-ears, which are $250 and preferred over in-ears with a MSRP of $1k and up.

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Really that is up to you and your budget mate. It depends on how good your ears are, what you typically listen to, and careful you are with your gear. If you have good ears and listen to high-quality recordings (the DAP at least is fine) while being fairly certain that you will not break/lose them any time soon then go for the sony's, otherwise the Xiaomi will probably suit you fine.

Personally, I mostly use my noise cancelling B&O's on public transport and flights through my mobile phone. If I want to do some critical listening or am in a quite environment then I have better options anyway so my noise cancelling set did not need to be the best necessarily.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Thank you!

Now... the only question is... Is it worth spending more (much more) on those Sony's or just pull the trigger on the Xiaomi?

@wolfjeanne is right. I just let out the Xiaomis as another option, as I felt my Bose QC20i (ones I liked the most for ANC) were not to my liking in sound. I kept your wallet in mind while making the Xiaomi ANC 3.5mm IEM and Massdrop plus IEM combo recommendation, as that is the best ~$300 option for your situation, but that still does not entail how much you will use both.

Do you only travel in the CONUS, North America, or Worldwide?

What do you prefer out of your music: fun, detail, surroundings, and such?

What do you do while listening to music?

How often do you replace your IEMs?

The questions just keep going, but I and others can only help so much, as it is ultimately your buying decision, so feel free to talk about those above questions and any questions you might have for us.:)

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi and thanks!

Right now I'm using Chord and Major Rock IEM's/eadbuds. Basically, it all comes down to one factor - noise cancellation on the planes and trains. If Xiaomi will block most of those nasty ambient sounds, then I can live with a lower sound quality for a few hours on the plane. But, if the Sony's deliver better noise reduction... then I don't mind spending a few dollars more.

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 13
So I took a closer look at why the Sony WI-1000x would be better than the Xiaomi ANC 3.5mm in-ears, and the main differences are wireless/wired and in each of their earpieces. For longer travel, the wireless would be more convenient to have and hold, even if one UK review said the WI-1000x neck brace is not that flexible and an AU review said the WI-1000x look funny to wear in public.

Plus, the WI-1000x earpieces each have vents for ANC-dedicated mics (the talking mic is the neck brace), creating a stereo-like ANC surrounding. Although the Xiaomi ANC 3.5mm earphone have comparable, and possibly better, sound than the WI-1000x, the WI-1000x will use both mics to better adjust the ANC range based on the environment. The Xiaomi ANC 3.5mm earphone also has ANC environment-based adjustment, but through one mic, which is also used for talking to other people.

So the wireless capability and the three function-specific mics of the WI-1000x are what you are paying for on top of the typical Xiaomi ANC 3.5mm earphone MSRP, making the Xiaomis a wonderful gift for someone or Chi-Fier, but not the best at ANC, which sounds like you will really value during long travel times.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 13
Another unique selling point of WI-1000X is it allows you to plug in to your phone and use it as wired earphones. It comes with a dedicated cable. You can plug it into the airplane entertainment system too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back