Noise-cancellers and eavesdropping
Jul 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rinski

New Head-Fier
I recently started wearing noise-cancellers on the train ride to and from work. One day, through my morning dose of ska, I distinctly heard "Intergalactic" by the Beastie Boys coming from a guy about six feet to my right (wearing stock iPod in-ears). If I could hear his music through my noise-cancelling over-ears, he must've been broadcasting to the whole train car. I took off my headphones, expecting absurdly loud 90s hiphop, but only heard the usual roar of the train. Headphones back on: Beastie Boys, clear as day. I felt like I had super powers.

Now, whenever I see a fellow commuter really in to his or her music, I can't stop myself: I just have to hear what's got them so worked up. One of the better mismatches I've seen is a 14 year-old, full-out goth chick ferociously nodding to the Beatles.

Anyone else notice this? If you have, do you have any good anecdotes, like the safety-pinned punker who was secretly head banging to La Bouche? For those who haven't, if you were given a pair of noise-cancellers and saw someone overly excited by their music, would you listen in?

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 5
More than likely, yes. Once I was at the dentist getting a cavity filled, and they said go ahead and listen to music. So at the time I put on my HD202's and they thought I couldn't hear them, I guess. Before I hit play, they started talking about "kids like me" and how back in their day, they wouldn't spend money on things that we have as luxuries. (ie: PSP, iPhone, etc.)

Anyway, it was pretty funny to eavesdrop on people when they think you're oblivious to the world.

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikachoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More than likely, yes. Once I was at the dentist getting a cavity filled, and they said go ahead and listen to music. So at the time I put on my HD202's and they thought I couldn't hear them, I guess. Before I hit play, they started talking about "kids like me" and how back in their day, they wouldn't spend money on things that we have as luxuries. (ie: PSP, iPhone, etc.)

Anyway, it was pretty funny to eavesdrop on people when they think you're oblivious to the world.

haha That's pretty funny!! This works best with closed cans or even in-ear headphones(since others cannot hear if the music is on or off). You could just sit there with headphones on-no music and listen to what other people are saying. All the time they're clueless that you are listening.

To the OP: If I had actual "noise cancelling" phones I'd definately try this, especially in a loud environment.

But for now I'm going to try it with my in-ear headphones.

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 5
That effect with noise canceling is fun -- it works wonders for killing low rumbling sounds, but it barely touches voices. The result? In some noisy environments, they seem to make voices or other people's music more apparent. I've never really tried to use this for anything though.

Now I'm tempted to super-glue my Bose back together and try this. Maybe they are still good for something!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikachoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I hit play, they started talking about "kids like me" and how back in their day, they wouldn't spend money on things that we have as luxuries. (ie: PSP, iPhone, etc.)

Of course not. Good luck buying an iPhone even five years ago
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Noise Cancelling actually have Microphones built on the outside (Duh!)...so certain frequencies which arent reversed in phase can be heard better via them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back