Noise canceling headphones
Oct 5, 2010 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shibby1

New Head-Fier
I live in a noisy apartment and am looking for a top pair of noise canceling headphones. How well it cancels ambient noise is my top concern because I'll be wearing them to do homework.  I also care about sound quality but I'm not an audiophile so that isn't as big of an issue.  Comfort would also be nice as I'll be wearing them for long periods of time. I listen mainly to hip-hop/ electronic music, and I don't care if the headphones distort the music too make it sound better/ less natural.  I'm looking for ones in the $300 or under range.  My roommate has Beats and I've heard that Bose QC15's are good noise-cancelers as well, but many people on this website don't seem to like these.

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 3
Have a look at Sennheiser's PXC 450 or PXC 350, Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b if you want very good noise cancellation and a nice, balanced sound (and good build quality, too), and Bose if you're looking for an excellent noise cancellation, a bass-driven sound and a so-so build quality (and overpriced products).

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Sennheiser PXC 450, Bose Quietcomfort 15 are in the $250 - 300 range.  I like both of them.  I would not recommend the Sennheiser PXC 350.  I dont have a problem with the QC15's - I prefer them to the QC3 and QC2 to be honest.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b is good, and Goldring NS1000 can be bought reasonably cheaply (they go for around 50 GBP in the UK).  Both are good value for money.

If you are going sub-$300 range, have you considered IEM's, such as the Audio Technica CK10's ?  With soft earbuds (like Sony Hybrids or Comply Tx400's) these can stay in your ears for a long time.  they might be more suitable if you need to sleep but cant tilt your head with full over ear headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back