Noise Canceling Headphones [PLEASE!]
May 14, 2007 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stormshade

New Head-Fier
There are a couple of wanna-be rockstars that has moved into where I live. Everyone in the neighborhood suffers from their "rock songs", if loud screeching could be considered music, every weekend and sometimes on week days too. The police showing up repeatedly does nothing for us. This is especially hard on my dad, who works the midnight shift and on the weekends too. They stop playing at around 10pm just about the time he wakes up to go to work. I have trouble even watching TV because of the noise and could only image what it feels like for him when he is lying on his bed. He has never complained about the whole situation but I feel his pain. I would like to get him headphones that cancel out surrounding noise. It's too bad, I don't know much about headphones but I do know the people on this forum are much more experienced than I. I would like to give him the best headphones out there. Maybe it's too naive of me to look for a headphone that cancels out ALL surrounding noise. I don't know, what do you think? All I know is that the price is not a big concern to me because I value my dad's piece of mind infinitely more. Thanks for reading.

May 14, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Etymotic ER6 or ER6i

Or, just plain old earplugs!

May 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Earplugs
tongue.gif

And a vibration type alarm.

May 14, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 10
Could you clarify weather or not you/he would be open to in-ear type headphones? If so, there are plenty for a reasonable price that will get you close to 100% isolation from outside sounds (30dB+), whereas full-size headphones and HPs with active noise canceling (like the $300+ bose ones that sound worse than some $20 headphones) will likely not get you more than 10dB of isolation (which is still quite a bit, but will let in alot on noise, including voices).
In ear headphones often can have comfort and fit problems. You will likely get recommended westone UM1s or UM2s for the most comfortable IEMs.

May 14, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back