Noise and Meier 2Move
Feb 9, 2008 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ocm

New Head-Fier
I just received my 2move from Jan...Very impressed by this amp. Solid bass and impressive authority in my experience. Great build quality as well...I am though having some issues with it when the DAC is used. It starts to play w/o problems...but suddenly music signal is dropped into a rather frightening blanket of noise. When I unplug/replug the USB cables, the music continues to play, only to be replaced once again by a blanket of noise...after another lap of noisefree playback. I find no pattern of time for these happenings...I have tried different USB cables, different computers, though only Macs, but both Leopard and Tiger based. I am new to external DACs so my first thought, was to play around with different volumes settings in the playback chain, both the Itunes volume, and the System volume...thinking that Maxing of both these would create some overrun state in the DAC..but, having pulled back volume both in Itune and in the System, and leaving the volumeraising to the pot on the amp, I find that this have no effect on the noise attacks. The experience is so overwhelming loud and horrendous, that I fear both of my hearing and the headphones, not to mention the ability to sit back and enjoy the music....

When playing without the DAC, the amp seem to be working perfectly...

My next theory is that it may have to do with power issues...but I may be mistaking here.

Any comments welcomed...

-ocm/norway

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 13
I would definitely contact Dr. Meier directly about this issue.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Are you sure it is not due to the headphones not being plugged in fully? If you don't have a battery in the amp, the circuit board is not fully against the front playe and you won't get a good connection on your headphone plug. Jan recommends always having a battery in.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 13
EDIT: Oops!

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Not a 2Move. It uses a standard PP3 battery. I actually have one; I just have not put it on my sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hingy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a 2Move. It uses a standard PP3 battery. I actually have one; I just have not put it on my sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Your speed annoys me
biggrin.gif

I edited out the bad info within probably 5 seconds...

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 13
Have a 2Move too, dont have a single problem with it
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Gee, I wish more folk were in the cast of Jan...he is supplying me with a replacement...so I think I am just seeing my usual lack of luck, always ending up with those items that make up the small percentages of failure in manufacture..I will still enjoy it using analog input...looking beyond the DAC issuesm it is a most succesful product, all things considered, not to forget, Jan conduct of business.

And thank you to all of you for a great forum!-)

-ole/norway

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Gee, I wish more folk were in the cast of Jan...he is supplying me with a replacement...so I think I am just seeing my usual lack of luck, always ending up with those items that make up the small percentages of failure in manufacture..I will still enjoy it using analog input...looking beyond the DAC issuesm it is a most succesful product, all things considered, not to forget, Jan conduct of business.

And thank you to all of you for a great forum!-)

-ole/norway

Yeah, Jan has excellent customer service...

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Are you all using Windows computers or are some of you reporting no issues of this kind, also using Macs? I ask, as I tonite finally got around to trying my 2move with a Windows machine...I managed to play about 1-2 hrs, without signs of the noise-whiteout I am hearing running off my Mac. Jan is supplying me with a new one, and I´ll very excited to learn if this is having the same leaning towards the PC...Sure hope not, as I dread going back to Windows for anything but ripping CDs through EAC.

Hope to hear from you happy Mac/2move users!!

-ole/norway

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 13
I had almost 3 days of pain and reduced hearing on my right ear from this experience...that´s how violent it is. Hopefully I am not in for reduced right ear performance...

Other than that, this amp continues to impress me, soundwise.

-ole

Users who are viewing this thread

Back