Noice cancelling speakers - Phase reversal.
Mar 14, 2016 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dr Jekyll

Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I'm an Engineering student. As a part of one of my qualification Units, I have to solve a real world Engineering problem and produce a prototype and later product that can aid in solving this. I'm intrigued by noise cancelling and phase reversal and have a decent enough understand of how noise cancelling works. 

I have a concept for my idea that would solve the problem of noise pollution. My idea is to take a series of microphones inside a room, have them go into a soundcard, into a computer, then have the recordings be played through the speakers in real time. The only hitch, is that they would need to be outputting the same audio but phase reversed. Thus far, I know Pro Tools offers a phase reversal plug in but I'm not sure if I could get it to work in real time. 

My question is this; what software can I use that will reverse phase of real time records? Initially, I want the project to work the other way around, with the microphones facing out and the speakers inside and see if it works in successfully cancelling out ambient noise outdoors. I have some experience with programming, so if there's anything I'd need to programme myself it wouldn't be too much of an issue. 

All feedback is appreciated.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 4
While this can work with headphones, a loudspeaker in a room can only cancel at one location. At every other point in the room, the time delays between the noise source and the loudspeaker will be different and won't cancel.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 4
That's one of the issues I'm trying to overcome. A plan would be to have the speakers in sets. So a set of speakers that applies for different parts of the room with LR balancing accordingly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back