Nobunaga labs cables
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hinomotocho

Headphoneus Supremus
Has any had any experience with these Japanese iem cables? I am in Japan at the moment and was looking for another cable for my XBA-A3. I already have the Sony muc-m12sm1 upgrade cable, but was looking for another one for day to day use as I don't want to cause too much wear and tear on the current nylon cable.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm in Seoul, and my local headphone shop stocks several Nobunaga Labs cables.  Over the past year I have bought 3 pairs of the Nobunaga MMCX cables for my Shure SE846s, a $30 cable, a $60 cable, and a $99 cable.  All three have died within a few months under standard use.  The weak points are either a) the lack of strain relief around the connector, or b) the MMCX connector that goes over the ear.  I am NOT impressed with their products.  Avoid!

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for your feedback. I was able to try their cables yesterday. I tried the premium one ($99) and was surprised how thin the cable was compared to the similarly priced official upgrade cable from Sony. I assumed you usually pay alot for the Sony name, but I have to say for what other options I saw available at that price range, the Sony cable is superb quality and gives a nice improvement to the sound over the stock cable. I will stick with it, but will just have to take care with everyday use.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 5
You're welcome.  I, too, really liked the feeling of the premium cable, if it's indeed the same one we're talking about.  Kind of a silver color, braided but heat-wrapped, and very thin and flat.  Unfortunately, since there's no strain relief near the headphone connector, after a few months the plastic sheath began to fray.  Then, what I can only imagine was some sort of oxidation reaction, the cable began to turn from silver to greenish near the base.  By then there was a lot of intermittent audio dropping in and out and I had purchased another one.  

Anyways, I think you dodged a bullet.  The cables look good, they just don't hold up very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back