Nobsound tube amp impression
Nov 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

roguepp88

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone used the Nobsound series of tube amps,
they can be found in Amazon for a reasonable price,,
similar to little dots.

Can anyone give an impression of their product?

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 25
Jan 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 25
The previous post with the link to the article makes it very clear this amp is misleading. For those that have not read the article, it is basically a solid state amp using 4558 and FL1875 chips . The tubes might be involved with the preamp stage, but they are likely decorative more than anything. Just to put things in perspective, these are selling for about $60 USD on amazon china. So you are looking at an amp that likely costs less than $30 to make. If you can get one for $60 might be worth it for use as a night light.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 25
It's a pretty decent hybrid amp, similar to a more powerful starving student hybrid.  I think it's reasonably priced, given the build quality is actually pretty good.  The issue of the tubes being overfed the above link notes has been fixed, as they're now fed a more tube-healthy 6.3.  Essentially the tubes act as a pre-amp, which gives it the "tube sound" people are after: a small mid-bass bump and a small lower/mid treble bump (depending on which tubes you use).  But it gains the benefit of a solid state power stage.  Switching the tubes around, it does noticeably change the sound of it, so the tubes are more than decorative.  

Essentially this is an amp you could build, if so inclined, for about $100.  Given that it sells for $179, that's pretty reasonable as a construction cost IMHO.  As somebody who has built a Millett SSHM, it was fun for me personally, but if building an amp wasn't something I was interested in personally as a hobby, it's absolutely something I'd have paid $79 for somebody else to do.

Yes, places that simply call it a "tube amp" are misleading.  It's a hybrid amp.  But that doesn't in and of itself make it bad.  In fact, if you're after the "tube sound" I think hybrid is the way to go.  

May 25, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 25
Hi,
I was skeptiical when I first bought the Jaycar version. I have had mine for 6 years and still going strong. A couple of mods and its one of the most musical budget amps I have heard. It does have a bit of a tube sound - warm, rich, natural sound with a bit of depth. Listen for hours without fatigue. I am very pleased got mine for $100, they were originally $299. I listen to this more than more large system.
Cheers
Steve 

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 25
Maybe at $179, it's seems a poor value, but at its current $50 on Amazon and other sites, it's a comparative bargain. I own AKG k501 phones, which are finicky about how they're driven, and it sounds very, very good, punching well above its class. It's also been reviewed on various sites and gotten high marks. 

No, it's not in the same league as my Pete Millett-designed Wheatfield headphone amp, but it's much smaller and in fact its stepped volume control has better low-level channel matching!

I haven't gotten into tube rolling with it, but there are several NOS 6688 tubes that are reported to take it to a different level. All I can say is I'm satisfied. I was turned onto it by a recording engineer friend who's using it to monitor remote classical concert recordings. He was quite smitten by it.

It's definitely not a rip-off or scam. It's a value-driven version of something audiophiles have done for years... used a tube pre-amp to feed a solid state power amp. At its current price point I don't think I could build an equally-good sounding model.  

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 25
The amp doesn't use tubes. Not even in the preamp stage. They are only for decoration.

The thing is that most people can't tell tube from SS sound, this is the prank the founder pulled off well. :D

It is a solid state amp. Not a hybrid. The tubes are only for decoration.
Read about it on google.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 25
The amp doesn't use tubes. Not even in the preamp stage. They are only for decoration.

The thing is that most people can't tell tube from SS sound, this is the prank the founder pulled off well. :D

Read about it on google.

why would I read about it in google when I've taken one apart? It's a hybrid circuit. It's basically the same topology as a starving student, just with different particular parts. Also, it's fairly easy to hear the difference between tubes in sound. The tubes don't add much in the way of power in this circuit, but are instead designed to basically act as a tube filter more than anything. Further, if the tubes were decorative, then why would them being fed wrong impact the sound, as the early versions of this amp did?

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 25

The thing is that most people can't tell tube from SS sound, this is the prank the founder pulled off well.
biggrin.gif

Read about it on google.

Thank you for your response. You hold an Interesting point of view. I have not done any tube rolling yet, but according to this view, upon swapping tubes I should hear no difference. As it is, it sounds pretty darn good, so I haven't been eager to swap. At the end of the day, it's all about sound isn't it? I've got other amps, tube and solid state, that don't sound as good. So, it's not a rip off or scam, which is my point. It is a very good unit. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 25

I disagree, the valves do influence the sound, I have had both the jaycar version and the nobsound version. I have tube rolled and certainly does make a difference with different tubes in the circuit. Mods have been done on my Jaycar version and that also made a difference too.
smile.gif

Cheers
Steve.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 25

I have both solid state gear and valve. The Nobsound tends more towards the valve sound - warm, natural and smooth especially with slower music  (jazz, pop, blues etc) and the human voice. It certaintly performs way above its price range for sound. It beats my $1000 Marantz receiver for sound. 
Cheers
Steve

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 25
Airwaves Recording Engineer/Founder John McCortney and I spent last evening comparing recordings played back alternatively through both a $50 Nobsound and a $500 Heed Canamp, recently upgraded with an LM4562 Dual Opamp. While the Heed Canamp performed beautifully and displayed more clean high frequency openness and drive, to be expected given its comparative girth and well-regarded inner parts quality, the tiny Nobsound definitely held its own ground, plus its tubes definitely added the warmth we'd expect when using a tube preamp combined with a solid state power amp.

From a consumer point of view, it was just amazing to note the two sounds shared more than they differed. Perhaps this is causing some to conclude that the tubes are merely decorative. But, comparison to a well-designed larger solid state amp helps highlight the Nobsound's tube character.

We did our comparisons using the following two recordings, A-B'ing one and then the other over the course of two hours:

Corelli Violin Sonatas Op5 - Elizabeth Wallfisch, Richard Tunnicliffe, Paul Nicholson, Hyperion Records
Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet Columbia Records 1997 remaster

Surprises? I was surprised the soundstage appeared equally huge with either amp. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 25
Gentlemen, is this a product worth the $42 I paid for?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Music-Hall-6J9-Vacuum-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-Mini-Audio-HiFi-Stereo-Headphone-amp-DIY-Free-Shipping/32443111524.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back