Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Aug 5, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #376 of 388
Nobsound NS-08E was introduced more than 5 years ago and it seems to be still popular.
I am interested to try it out for high impedance earbuds and have a few questions:
1) Is there anything better now in this price category (under $100)?
2) Did anyone directly compare the upgraded version to the original one? I understand only the tubes are different... would any of them be preferable?
3) Would Muses02 opamps be a good match for it (vs Burson V5i)?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #377 of 388
2) Did anyone directly compare the upgraded version to the original one? I understand only the tubes are different... would any of them be preferable?
I did - sort of. I had to go by memory because my original version already had stock tubes replaced with Russian ones and I had to rely on my memory comparing it to my friend's revised version with stock tubes. My impression was that they were similar with stock tubes: not bad, but definite room for improvement in terms of clarity, bass and treble extension etc. Both improved immensely after replacing stock tubes with Russian NOS ones. There were very minor differences between them, but those could be attributed to the tubes and since the two amp versions use different tubes, there is no way of comparing the devices themselves, with tubes taken out of the equation. I would say you're good with either version of the amp.

We bought each amp for around $30, under $50 including 4 replacement Russian tubes for each amp, and I don't think there's anything better (or even close to that quality) you could get for the money we paid. Considering the combination of SQ and power, I don't see anything that could compete in the price range under $100 either.

We haven't tried different opamps yet.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #379 of 388
Do the GE 5654 tubes need burn in? I just put them in over the last few days and they SEEM a dot harsh. I like the original tubes a dot more in their musicality at this point. But, the sound is way more refined and balanced with the new tubes. Just a bit harsh at times.

EDIT: the tubes sound better now and this little amp sounds amazing with my He400i phones.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #380 of 388
May have already been mentioned. Read somewhere that they are having good luck with the GE Jan 5654W tubes.
I know this is old but I thought I just had to comment on this. I just got the DollaTek Jan 5654W tubes for this little amp and the difference is nothing short of amazing. It's like night and day. The high end is now so much crisper and ride cymbals etc are no longer a faint "ding" in the background they come through crystal clear with the resonance they should have (I used to be a professional drummer so I know how they should sound). The whole frequency range is much more natural with cleaner bass and mid range and extended high end. There is now a presence to the music that just wasn't there with the stock tubes. I have the later model which came with the 7-pin 6J3s. These Jan 5654W tubes have totally transformed this amp and anyone that owns this little gem should without a doubt change the stock ones, you won't regret it and at £13.99 GBP for a matched pair it's a no brainer!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #381 of 388
I have scored one of these for thirty quid delivered.
While I eagerly await said delivery I have the odd question or three.
Anybody done much modding to these? I'm obviously going to have to lose the blue LEDs and I'm going to look at changing the 3.5mm sockets but I wonder what else has been tried beyond those and rolling tubes and op-amps?
Is the 5654 really a swap for 6j3? I loved the 5654 sound in a full size power amp some years ago so it's a lovely thought.
I have no doubt I shall be back with more questions or at least some images of mods in progress.
Cheers all, here's to a great day.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #383 of 388
I have scored one of these for thirty quid delivered.
While I eagerly await said delivery I have the odd question or three.
Anybody done much modding to these? I'm obviously going to have to lose the blue LEDs and I'm going to look at changing the 3.5mm sockets but I wonder what else has been tried beyond those and rolling tubes and op-amps?
Is the 5654 really a swap for 6j3? I loved the 5654 sound in a full size power amp some years ago so it's a lovely thought.
I have no doubt I shall be back with more questions or at least some images of mods in progress.
Cheers all, here's to a great day.
Hi Andre. Please see my post above. I got the DollaTek Jan 5654W tubes from Amazon and it has made a world of difference as per my post. I see they are still available and at that price it really is worth giving them a try. I'm going to try swapping out the op amps too at some point but I haven't got round to it yet as its not my main amp (I have a Stax setup which I use most of the time and also a Musical Fidelity M1 HPAP for dynamic cans) but I have heard it can make quite an improvement. I have used the NS-08E with AKG K712 Pro and Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm version and it drives both easily and sounds surprisingly good with both. Its a great little amp for no money and quite powerful (I believe its 1.1W into 32 ohm) so will drive most cans easily. Have fun!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #385 of 388
I still do not understand, the sound is not amplified by the tubes. Nevertheless, a change can improve the sound? What is the explanation for this?
Which are the best to use with the newer version?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #388 of 388
Post deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back