Noble Kaiser 10 + what DAP/DAC (up to $500)?
Nov 24, 2018 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

drone9

New Head-Fier
I have given up hope for a certain crowdfunding project to eventually deliver and decided to upgrade my portable listening experience otherwise. Up until now, my setup has merely consisted of my trusty iPhone and a pair of Noble K10. Keeping a somewhat limited budget of about $500 in mind, I am now deliberating whether to go the DAC or DAP route. Options I am considering at the moment: Cowon Plenue D, iBasso DX150 or CAYIN N5II for DAPs and FiiO Q5, iFi Audio xDSD or Chord Mojo for DACs. Any input is highly appreciated.

Nov 25, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 26
K10 is quite sensitive, so I would want a DAP/DAC-AMP with quite background as one of the considerations. I would recommend AK SR15 used or when on sale

Nov 25, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 26
K10 is quite sensitive, so I would want a DAP/DAC-AMP with quite background as one of the considerations. I would recommend AK SR15 used or when on sale
Thank you for your input. A quiet background is definitely something to consider. The AK SR15 sure looks tempting. But being a rather recent release I am not sure there is much chance of a sale in the near future. But maybe I should just save up a bit...

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 26
I really like my Chord Mojo. It's a bit of a nuisance that it is not Apple certified. I got around that by using a third party cable which gets around having to use the very clunky CCK. I use it with an old 5s which I find much more convenient than using my daily phone.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 26
D792E8FA-4FE3-43BE-AF21-E3BC2BCB0EE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 26
Or does it make more sense to get a DAP now that will go together well with the Mojo later? Any DAC would have to use my phone as a source for the time being and I am not sure I can live with rubber bands obfuscating a significant portion of the screen...

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 26
Or does it make more sense to get a DAP now that will go together well with the Mojo later? Any DAC would have to use my phone as a source for the time being and I am not sure I can live with rubber bands obfuscating a significant portion of the screen...
That's why I went with Velcro. Even though I have used the strongest double sided known to man it still comes apart, which is a PITA.
I would not want to use my daily phone in a stack. That's just a nuisance IMO. If that's the option go for the SR15. If you have a spare phone then the Mojo is a good option of you don't mind carrying it in a bag. Not pocket friendly.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 26
I'll be interested to know what you think to it. I'm very tempted myself. It looks like a very nice player. I would hesitate to use a £600 player as transport only and the pocketability of the SR15 is very appealing.

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 26
And I personally find the tilted screen very appealing:)
B2E8FAA0-3791-42DC-ACBD-0B54BF4B3643.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back