No title
Jan 15, 2019 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gerelmx1986

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Guys, I want to share with you this instruction on how to rip a SACD to an ISO image with a Pioneer Blu-ray player.

The following Models are confirmed to work, my model ist the one highlighted in Bold Blue:
  • BDP-80FD
  • BDP-160
  • BDP-170
  • BDP-58LX
  • BDP-88LX
The process is simple, you only need:
  • A clean FAT32-Formatted USB Stick of any size as no ISOs will be stored on the stick
  • One of the above mentioned pioneer Players with NO MODS, ONLY FACTORY INSTALLED FIRMWARE
  • A windows computer with Wi-fi or LAN connection
  • A free LAN port on your router (for connecting the pioneer to the network)
  • A Monitor or TV for viewing the setup of the pioneer
1. First navigate to this web site: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/

and find a Dropbox link for BDP-160 Package and download the zip file to your pc (it's on page #2 of the said thread) you should have something like this:

2. Format (WARNING: Backup all of you data in your USB stick before formatting) your USB stick with FAT32 leaving defaults.

3. After formatting is complete, copy the AutoScript folder to the USB stick, note that nothing should be present other than the Autoscript folder on the USB stick (the BUDA folder was created by my Pioneer player)

4. Start your pioneer and switch the TV to the HDMI output where it is allocated and configure as follows:
4a. Go to Home menu > Playback and disable Disc auto-playback (set to Off), and set to off also Last Memory.

4b. Go to network > information > write down the player's IP-address, to be used later on another step.

TIP: On the instructions of the website they tell you to telnet IT IS NOT NECESSARY, therefore i instructed you to copy down the IP address from the Pioneer player, also NOT NECESSARY to have the player assigned a static-IP-Address just on every start note down the IP if it was re-assigned and change on a script file to be mentioned later on.

5. Power off the Pioneer player completely

6. Plug the USB stick on the Front-port of the pioneer player while it is powered off

7. Turn it ON with the USB stick plugged in, the tray will pop- open

8. Get one of your SACDs out of its case and load it to the player, close the tray

8. Nothing will happen, Don't panic, leave it alone, head to PC and double click on the sacd_extract folder of the package to open it

9. You'll see a batch file called sacd.bat, right-click it and choose edit, notepad will open, revealing some commands.

Here is where you edit and change the IP-address of your player, note that you will need to do this very time if it was re-assigned a new IP address by your router. For example my player had the 192.168.2.110:2002 i had to change to 192.168.2.114:2002 yesterday. As you see the portion of :2002 stays the same.

10. Close notepad and double click the bat file, a command line window will open and the process shall start, if not, recheck your IP address wether it had changed. LEAVE THE USB STICK PLUGGED IN THE PIONEER

10a. your TV may show this constantly, as if nothing was actually happening, no need to worry

11. after it finishes the command line will close and you'll have an ISO file. For other SACDs no need to turn the player off and on, leave it on WITH THE USB STICK PLUGGED IN

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 6
OPTIONAL STEPS:

Extracting the DSD (DFF) stream from the ISO. In case your player doesn't support ISO playback but yes DSD (dff/dsf) then you need to extract the DSD stream.

For this you can use a tool like sonore ISO2DSD (some have reported it produces DSDs with distortions), therefore i use a set of bat programs called sacdISOs2EMflac (I don't remember from where i downloaded the zip, but for me it produces the best sounding DSD files)

NOTE: DONOT RENAME OR MOVE ANY FILES while extracting the zip file

1. copy your SACD isos to the root of the folder sacdISOs2EMflac, do not rename or put the files in another subfolder.
2. Click A) 2CHsacdISOs2EMflac.bat for 2 channel DSD files (stereo) , B) MCHsacdISOs2EMflac - For multi-channel DSD files or C) MCH_and_2CHsacdISOs2EMflac - for both stereo and multi-channel DSD files.

TIP: all output DSD files are in DFF format (.dff)

3. a command line window opens, if foobar DR starts, close it and on the command line hit CTRL +C and then Y (yes) my case S (for si in spanish) , I net J for Ja auf Deutsche Sprache :)

4. you'll have a single huge dff file extracted in a subfolder inside sacdISOs2EMflac folder

5. Split the big dff file to smaller Tag-friendly DSF tracks with TEAC HI-res audio editor

6. use MP3TAG for tagging your DSD album
7. transfer to player and enjoy

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Help from sacd_extract

Usage: sacd_extract [options] [outfile] (v0.3.8_win32)

-2, --2ch-tracks : Export two channel tracks (default)
-m, --mch-tracks : Export multi-channel tracks
-e, --output-dsdiff-em : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
-p, --output-dsdiff : output as Philips DSDIFF file
-s, --output-dsf : output as Sony DSF file
-t, --select-track : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
-I, --output-iso : output as RAW ISO
-c, --convert-dst : convert DST to DSD
-C, --export-cue : Export a CUE Sheet
-i, --input[=FILE] : set source and determine if "iso" image,
device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
-P, --print : display disc and track information

Help options:
-?, --help : Show this help message
--usage : Display brief usage message

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 6
For general information; i got my Pioneer player used from eBay Germany. I paid 280£ for it. Mo need for converter or AC adaptor, as it has a standard two pole male socket similar.to laptop AC adapters. Just got an euro plug cable that was lying around home

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Very nice tutorial, well done.

If I may add one clarification with regard to player model compatibility, to the best of my knowledge the BDP-58/88LX was never actually confirmed compatible. Though it has the correct MediaTek SoC, it may use a Linux kernel version other than 2.6.35 in it's OS, which is the only one known to work.

There were various attempts by members at Audiophile Style (then Computer Audiophile) with the two higher end Pioneer models, all of which failed, including some more recent attempts in mid-2019.

So those two specific models are unproven compatible at this point unless someone knows something I don't, and if so, please do correct me.
Didn't know that, I just posted the LX models because I read and was told these also worked. But I am not sure really.. Anyways thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back