No sound on right side, headphones dead?
May 3, 2019 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DasKobold

New Head-Fier
Guys, my dt 1770 doesn't work on the right side anymore. They are called drivers right? I bought them in Juli 2016, the warranty is gone.

Do you guys think I can repair them on my own? Because headphones shouldn't die that easily, right? I mean my dt 770 from 2011 still works to this day.

It's not the cable, I tried both the curly one and the straight one... but honestly the cable itself is so thick I doubt it breaks that easily.

Can you guys help me figure out what went wrong with them?

May 6, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 4
It can be a few things.
First, since the 1770 use a one entry cable design,
the cable (usually slimmed down) has to make its way
somehow to the other driver. Almost always this is done
by recessing it into the headband...and then a thin wire
emerges which attaches to the non-cable earcup (and the
driver within).

On the 1770's, these very thin (but insulated) wires run from
the cable entry earcup, up into the headband, and then out of
the headband on the other side, into the other earcup.
In other words, you've got these very thin - but critically
important - wires on both sides of the headband.

There might be some break or other defect in this run of cable up into
the headband, across it, and out of the other side..
If you have a device which can check continuity, use it in this instance
to help locate the problem (if there is one).

If you don't have such a device available, carefully open the wrapping around
the headband, locate the cable, and inspect it carefully with a glass
or even a loupe.. Follow it throughout its run looking for any kinks, breaks,
or similar. If there is such a discontinuity, that will most likely be the cause
of your problem.

If all looks OK, it could be a defective driver (the electromagneticdevice
within the earcup which actually produces sound). In that case, you'll
be best off sending it to an authorized Beyer service center for repair.
With the Tesla drivers, this could be expensive. You might want to contact
Beyer and register a complaint that you have a dead driver that's fewer
than three years old. They have the resources and motivation to perhaps
accommodate you in ways that their service centers cannot.

One other thing: plug the 1770's into another stereo output which
you are certain is working. If you then get sound from both sides,
it's not the headphones that are defective - it's in the source you
used originally.

Hope this is helpful; it just hits the major points.

Feel free to continue this conversation.

Cheers,

May 9, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't even know how to open up the headband, from what I can tell it looks screwed tight. That said, a broken cable does sound cheaper than having to replace the entire driver. But aren't drivers supposed to last a little longer, my dt 770 is still alive and I own them since 2013 (? or maybe even 2011). That one driver just suddenly stopped working. Was listening to music and it just died like that.

I know that nobody besides beyer can tell me how much this will cost, but can you make an estimation? You think it would cost more than 70 bucks?

May 9, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't even know how to open up the headband, from what I can tell it looks screwed tight. That said, a broken cable does sound cheaper than having to replace the entire driver. But aren't drivers supposed to last a little longer, my dt 770 is still alive and I own them since 2013 (? or maybe even 2011). That one driver just suddenly stopped working. Was listening to music and it just died like that.

I know that nobody besides beyer can tell me how much this will cost, but can you make an estimation? You think it would cost more than 70 bucks?

Well yes I agree with you that high quality drivers should last a good while; and that's why I suggested (among other things) in my post just above
that you contact Beyer and raise that very issue. Especially as the 1770's employ Beyer's touted Tesla drivers, the 1770's are quite expensive,
and they haven't been on the market for that long.

Although I've had several Beyer headphones, including the Amiron and 1990's, I've not seen the 1770's
close up and thus not in a position to offer guidance with respect to disassembling the headband.

Also, just going directly to a Beyer authorized service center for a repair of the driver (without
first requesting at least some consideration from Beyer itself as per the above), based on my
own experience, and what I've heard and read, the repair bill will almost certainly be more than
$70.00. But I wouldn't let that stop me from at least making some inquiries - I would hope there
are customer protections in place such as estimates and the like.

It's unfortunate, of course, that your headphones aren't operating correctly, but on the other
hand you're dealing with a family owned, reputable company that's been around for
a long time and which, by all accounts, holds its customers in very high regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back