No Sound in Right Side of Sony MDR-V6
Aug 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FrozenPanda

100+ Head-Fier
So my friend, left her Sony MDR-V6's lying around for a couple of weeks with little to no use. Apparently, "someone in her family had played with them" and now the right driver does not work. She knew I was into making DIY Audio Cables and Recabling headphones at the moment and asked if I could recable them as she assumed that the problem was in the cable.

I took a look and tested the connections with a multimeter and couldn't find any breakages in connection to the right driver (the Sony MDR-V6's have the cable coming down from the left side and there's a seperate cable threaded through the headband to the right side). I tested connection all the way from the plug ground and ring to the driver's ground and right signal connections and it's still connected.

Does this rule out that it's a cable issue and instead the driver is blown? There is absolutely no sound in the right driver and no distortion in the left. If the driver is blown, what are the possible solutions?

Can anybody provide any help please?

Looking for replacement drivers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/677936/a-pair-of-headphone-drivers-or-a-single-sony-40mm-driver

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Have you contacted Sony? See what they can do.

Are you confirming a driver issue? If so, I would agree that is the best solution. These aren't even a year old. I have no idea how the driver could have blown other than manufactuer's defect.

However, if it is not a driver issue and it is truly the cable, I would happily recable these.But once I recable, theres no going for the warranty so, I just want to be sure.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 11
It would appear from what you have described to be a driver issue. If you trust in your abilities to find a fault in the connection and you can't find one, there are only a few other possibilities that exist. You checked to see if there is an issue with the TRS connector, right?

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
It would appear from what you have described to be a driver issue. If you trust in your abilities to find a fault in the connection and you can't find one, there are only a few other possibilities that exist. You checked to see if there is an issue with the TRS connector, right?

Yes, I tested connection throughout the whole cable, from connector to solder connections on the driver. There is connection and barely any resistance. Speaking with Sony right now... This is interesting support.

But yeah, i'm sure there is connection up to the solder on the drivers. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Then there is no other possibility for it to be anything but some kind of driver issue. You could either try replacing them yourself (?) or just contact Sony and see what they can do.

Sorry I can't be of much more help than that.
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Then there is no other possibility for it to be anything but some kind of driver issue. You could either try replacing them yourself (?) or just contact Sony and see what they can do.

Sorry I can't be of much more help than that.
frown.gif

Yep, as I was afraid. Oh well.. You've been a great help as it is. Thank you.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
No problem. Let us know how things work out for you.
redface.gif

Yeah, the fee for "Exchange" is $29... Not bad for a pair of MDR-V6's but.. not the desireable outcome. I was looking forward to recabling these. It would have been faster and cheaper. What are the chances someone here has the same issue and is willing to sell their pair for less than $29? xD Time to post in classifieds

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 11
I asked Sony Support if there were any retailers of just the driver, however they weren't able to provide a model number.

Here is the list of places they provided.

12:00 AM   Stark - (C5F2): 
Andrews Electronics Inc. 
1-661-257-7700
www.andrewselectronics.com 

Encompass Parts
1-800-638-3328
www.encompassparts.com 

Fox International
1-440-725-7150
www.fox-international.com 

Please contact them for further assistance.

I have my hopes set on the head-fi classifieds.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Best of luck looking there!

You might also want to check eBay for some poor condition/not working units (It's likely there is at least one due to the ubiquity and longevity of production of these headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back