no sound from amp?
Oct 1, 2005 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sberger

100+ Head-Fier
i know there must be something dumb that i'm doing, but i can't figure it out.

this morning, i had a very nice vinyl listening session using my ppx3 and senn 650's. well, decided i wanted to hear the new stooges funhouse cd reissue. so i disconnected my vinyl rig, and plugged my cd player (an ah njoe tjoeb 4000) into the ppx3. nothing. just some fluttering noises. i shut everything down, made sure the connections were right, and tried again. nothing. i tried another cd, thinking maybe the cd was bad. nothing. so i shut down everything and connected the cd player to my preamp to listen through speakers. everything fine.

ok folks, please tell me what i'm doing wrong. thanks.

Oct 1, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Check the fuses on the amplifier. You may have created a transient (this type of transient frequently sounds like 60 cycle AC hum at full volume) loud enough to cause a fuse to blow when you disconnected the vinyl setup and connected the CD source without first turning off the amplifier. Always turn off an amplifier before connecting or disconnecting any inputs.

It is also a good idea to turn off any tube amplifier before disconnecting any speakers or headphones unless you know the output is always connected to a safe load impedance.

Oct 1, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger
i know there must be something dumb that i'm doing, but i can't figure it out.

this morning, i had a very nice vinyl listening session using my ppx3 and senn 650's. well, decided i wanted to hear the new stooges funhouse cd reissue. so i disconnected my vinyl rig, and plugged my cd player (an ah njoe tjoeb 4000) into the ppx3. nothing. just some fluttering noises. i shut everything down, made sure the connections were right, and tried again. nothing. i tried another cd, thinking maybe the cd was bad. nothing. so i shut down everything and connected the cd player to my preamp to listen through speakers. everything fine.

ok folks, please tell me what i'm doing wrong. thanks.

Hard to know without more info and any suggestions will seem patronising but...

1) Vinyl rig is TT...Phono Preamp in...preamp line-out.....PPX.....headphones ?
2) CD rig is CD line out........PPX......headphones ?

i.e there is nothing between the CD player and the PPX. If you mistakenly swapped a phono level signal 25-50mv for a line level signal 1 - 2 V into the same input you may get a problem.

Oct 1, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 4
tried it again, first with the vinyl, then cd, and guess what. yup, it worked. happy that i didn't blow a fuse, although i knew that i did shut down everything before disconnecting/connecting. anyway, pretty weird stuff, but it all worked out.

thanks again for the quick replys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back