No sibilant and with a good bass for $100
Feb 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PoVarR

New Head-Fier
I have the FA Eterna - they bad mids and treble, bass clogs everything. Looking for a more balanced headphones, the same drive as the Eterna but not as boring as Re0.

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 16
Try different tips, such as complys or Sony Hybrids, they make a world of difference on the Eterna for the whole spectrum.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 16
Spongy tips can make all the difference where bass is concerned, but I don't think that will solve your sibilance problem.

I recommend the futuresonics Atrios. Look around on ebay or here, you should be able to get a pair for just over $100. They have great bass and detail too.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 16
The tips help with sibilance as well. Also, proper amping helps. If you don't have an amp, turn down the volume a tad, that will get rid of any sibilance.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 16
You can EQ down the treble. (If you haven't already tried, maybe save you some money).

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Treble on the Eterna is already not in the foreground, so EQing that is probably not a solution. But really, from experience, tips do wonders on the Eterna. I have no sibilance whatsoever, and the bass doesn't bleed into anything or cover anything. Just buying good tips makes the Eterna a lot better IEM than it is with stock tips.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 16
Problems sibilant at Eterna no - there is a problem of excessive bass that drowns out other frequencies.
I doubt that the purchase of new tips will solve all the problems Eterna.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 16
You should give the pure sounds pur-600 a try. It has bass but it's not too overpowering. It's nice and cheap. Also has a nice soundstage and instrument separation.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 16
Actually, several people can confirm that good tips do help the eterna greatly. Look at the thread, several people agree with me. If you were one of my customers I'd send you a pack of tips free of charge but since you're not, I'm afraid I can't do anything.
I have the Eterna and have tried using stock tips and decent tips, and decent tips calm the bass greatly and give the highs some more clarity. I also had the RE0, so it's not that I'm just used to the bass. I suggest you spend the $5 on a pack of Sony Hybrids or Complys, and you could very well be saving yourself a lot of money. If you still don't like it then you still have a good set of tips you can use for other IEMs.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 16
have you checked out the beyerdynamic dtx 100? it has zero sibilance and good bass for around $100.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 16
The HJE900 but stock and out the box they will smack you hard in the face with their upper end detail, or at least they did for me. I enjoyed it though =P. Burn-in seems to be settling in the somewhat harsh highs significantly.

If you get the HJE900, I would recommend you buy sony hybrids with them given your acoustic preferences. They emphasize bass while not killing treble. Don't use foamies with them(mashmallows and complies have been no good for me, makes the treble lifeless).

Actually, I'm not even sure whether the HJE900 are really so sibilant, or if it's just how revealing they are of issues with the source. A bit of both I'd say. On some tracks I never notice sibilance whatsoever with the stock tips, on others it's definitely there.

The HJE900 also have the advantage of uber-maximum durability(except with those filters, they fall off lol). There's also a foam mod for the highs.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 16
ebay has ver.1 Atrio M5s for sale for $100, probably ur best bet for good bass under $100
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back