NO REVIEW ON MEIER AMPS
Aug 26, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as for magazine reviews, yes, they are rare but, imo, mostly because in the hifi audio/video world, it is a niche segment.

We are Smaller niche segment then what i thought
eek.gif

People who buy real hi fi component find all the review they want on those hi fi magazine review about spekar amp etc... those people don't care about having potential of there high end headphone or they just don't know a dedicated headphone amp exist ? (it was my case before, but i don't have real hi fi system..)

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, Jan Meier was kind enough to agree to loan me a Cantate and an Arietta that I am going to use to do a comparative review with the Aria and the 0pera, so folks on head-fi can get an idea how the various amps in the Meier lineup compare to each other.

Excellent. Could you throw in the Move there as well?
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 27
Great thread, I'm really enjoying the different thoughts and opinions!

One important factor, I think, hasn't been mentioned so far - FOTM. Flavor of the month is a power to behold, a true force of nature. How does it appear is a complicated question I'm trying to escape most of the time.

On the other hand head-fi, as the most popular forum for headphones and related equipment, is, IMO, more important to any seller in this area, compared to any given audio magazine. Of course, I am not talking about BOSE headphones here, but headphone amps, Heck, no one around me knows that they exist, even only as an idea.

So, you can't find reviews on meier amps in online magazines. For example, the Move, a part of his new line of products, is a clearly expressed FOTM around here for some time now. If I were him, I really wouldn't bother pushing magazines to review the Move. FOTM in head-fi is the best thing that could have happened to the Move, IMO!
smily_headphones1.gif

Add to this, his HeadFive project. This is what I call good marketing. I really admire Mr. Jan Meier for that idea! Now almost every experienced head-fier has listened to a meier amp at some point. Actually, the first headphone amplifier ever for a lot of head-fiers. You can clearly see his main target is head-fi. And that is a very natural decision for pretty much every other builder of headphone amplifiers.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #19 of 27
That's Great!

Quote:

FWIW, Jan Meier was kind enough to agree to loan me a Cantate and an Arietta that I am going to use to do a comparative review with the Aria and the 0pera, so folks on head-fi can get an idea how the various amps in the Meier lineup compare to each other.

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. Could you throw in the Move there as well?
wink.gif

Sure, why not
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Actually what you tend to get here is people trying to justify to themselves spending so much money on their new toy. The really interesting reviews, where people write at length about the negatives of products they've bought, are few and far between. That's why a comprehensive review of items loaned for the purpose can have value.

Quote:

i agree with that. there are so many self serving comments and "reviews" on this board, that it is difficult to take anyone really seriously.

my advice is, go ahead and read the reviews from magazines, forums, etc, but don't take them too seriously. trust your own ears the most. and remember, it's about the music, not the holy grail of equipment.

as for magazine reviews, yes, they are rare but, imo, mostly because in the hifi audio/video world, it is a niche segment.

I strongly disagree with both of you, sorry.
If you just read one or two rave reviews here (and you are right, there are people here just justifiying the money they've spent) then you might end up buying the wrong item. But tell me, where lies the difference to a printed or webpublished article where the review was bought through advertisment.
But if you take your time and read the many comments, if you go and check how many of the so called monster gadgets are resold you will get a much better picture then any magazine can provide. Once in a while you'll find a review that is a joy to read and offers a new unexpected insight in a product. But most of the time, with the practice of "bought" reviews nothing interesting comes up.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

I think the point made above that Jan would need to push on a magazine like Stereophile in order to get his stuff reviewed there is correct. But he does not need to advertise. Ray Samuels has had multiple products reviewed in Stereophile, and he certainly hasn't advertised there. Ray does pursue reviews, however.

I am really looking forward to this as I simply CANNOT decide how much I should spend on a Meier amp. (i.e. If the Aria is only "marginally" better than the Arietta, I couldn't justify the extra expense.) On the other hand if there is an obviously large audible difference in SQ I would likely buy the ARIA. Hope your schedule will allow for this comparison in the near future Skylab!

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuecking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to know about Meier Audio reading the (online) review on the Porta Corda in CHIP (German computer magazine):

http://archiv.chip.de/artikel/c1_arc..._17083229.html

In the end after reading most of the 1000+ Corda Move thread I opted for the Corda Move and was not disappointed.

First time i see it in white
tongue.gif

A german person can tell us what they say about the Move ? (from 2002....) Hey they need some updates
rolleyes.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 27
i think a lot me true quality amps which are not properly advertised are lost to so many eager headphone fans,as a newbie i can say initially the only think i heard of was headroom and a lot me cmoy on ebay.if i had not done my reading and for head fi i would have missed out on knowin about brands such ap meier audio .so why dont we have a thread where we mention two non famous brands we come across probably some head fier would have used them and could give up use ful inputs on them thus widening our options for our next purchase.i would like inputs on NVA -it was a very popular and a radical brand for speakers.and harmony audio ear 90 a swedish brand but not read much on it outside swedish users.so i am sure some one would have tried these out.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really looking forward to this as I simply CANNOT decide how much I should spend on a Meier amp. (i.e. If the Aria is only "marginally" better than the Arietta, I couldn't justify the extra expense.) On the other hand if there is an obviously large audible difference in SQ I would likely buy the ARIA. Hope your schedule will allow for this comparison in the near future Skylab!

I am also looking forward to the comparison. I have an Opera that I am thrilled with (usb -> DT-880-250-2003), and would like to upgrade my portable amp (a Total Airhead that is several years old). I wonder if the Move is the right choice or if I should go with a Ray Samuels amp, Todd's Portable Millet Hybrid amp, or a new Headroom Micro... I don''t use the portable that much as I most often listen to audiobooks from my iPod (no amp required), and use the amp with my Ety's (ER-4S) when flying. Most of the time I use the Total Airhead at night with an iPod->Grado SR-60's. Maybe I should just upgrade the Grado's....

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwlinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don''t use the portable that much as I most often listen to audiobooks from my iPod (no amp required), and use the amp with my Ety's (ER-4S) when flying. Most of the time I use the Total Airhead at night with an iPod->Grado SR-60's. Maybe I should just upgrade the Grado's....

2 remarks, Grado don't make too much noise on a air plane for you neighbor ?

You really need a Amp with a sr60 and a iPod ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back