no one liking Chris Isaak here ?
Jun 16, 2005 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got myself "Forever Blue" .. what a beautyful big & deep voice pop album is it ; it has great blue and bit sad mellow lyrics and sound , but who cares .. great blues !

I suspect he's an understimated great artist , isn' it ?

n o o n e liking him here ?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 16
He's got a big lush country-noire sound. At it's best it's pretty damn compelling. I think, for instance, about his song "In Beautiful Houses" in which two cute young things break-up and moan to themselves about wanting each other ['s hearts, lips, bods, ever-lasting souls? - who knows]. What I think is great is that the repeated guitar riff is a kind of looney, desperate, frantic motif. After a while, I felt like I got it -- 'These young lovers are probably not too bright, but - boy - they're really nuts they're so desperate for one another.' And love is just like that sometimes (thank god!).

So, yeah, I think he is a mite underestimated. He can be quite clever, though he can also be cloying. I think his Baja Sessions album, with the more minimal production is well worth the cost of entry. Regards.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm a bit of a Chris Isaak fan, caught him in concert two summers ago with Lisa Marie Presley. Hell of a showman and a pretty good artist overall

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
rolleyes.gif

Pardon?! Wicked Game is among my all time favourites! The corresponding album is well worth a listen, quite a nice recording. Safe for the Wicked Game "Instrumental" where you can faintly hear the lyrics.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 16
country noir, like catachresis said... that's chris isaak. no wonder david lynch used wicked game... both walk a narrow (but looong) road between kitsch and darkness...

i love some songs, hate others. maybe when he's old and gnarly enough, he'll get the rick rubin treatment that he deserves
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 16
I think Forever Blue is his best, I can also recommend San Francisco Days.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
rolleyes.gif

Like him? . . . . he makes me melt he has such a sexxy voice.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 16
He's OK, which is to say that I won't turn the station when one of his crossover songs comes on my local college-rock station. However, his kind of music is not really my thing. Interesting voice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back