No More iPod Mini For Me
Jun 27, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 26
CybrFrettr, there are third party chargers out there also that may save you a little. A quick web search brought up this one for instance. Even my local drug store had some around Christmas.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 26
If it helps, I just bought a 3rd party charger for my GFs mini at CompUSA. It didn't seem all that great quality but it was around $15 I think and as long as it doesn't break then I guess it's fine. I wonder if Radio Shack has something.

I don't know why this is a rampage on Apple. Creative did the same thing yet they seem to escape the ire of some. The battery issue from what I've read was pretty bad but wasn't that 1st generation of a product that was one of the first of it's kind? If I were to blame Apple for something it would be making it so the battery can't be swapped out by the consumer, to me that is a bigger scam than anything else. Then again, I can swap out my battery on my Zen Micro but who knows if I can find one when it comes time to finally replace it.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb
If I were to blame Apple for something it would be making it so the battery can't be swapped out by the consumer, to me that is a bigger scam than anything else.

Are you absolutely sure that the iPod's battery can't be replaced by consumers? Why not check here before deciding. And don't forget to watch the installation video at the bottom of the page. I think you'll agree that at least some consumers could accomplish this amazing battery changing feat.
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #21 of 26
If you want battery life you gotta go Sony. I have a HD3 that I listen to non stop. I fall asleep with it on all the time, thinking that I am going to have to charge it when I wake up. Nope...thing keeps humming. Screw Apple.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #22 of 26
well the sony got 24.2 hours and the ipod mini got 21.1 in cnets tests. ipodlounge got over 25 hours in their ipod mini test. now lets take a poll as to which company has better software
tongue.gif

also, the ipod batterys arent even much more expensive than their competitors.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
If you want battery life you gotta go Sony. I have a HD3 that I listen to non stop. I fall asleep with it on all the time, thinking that I am going to have to charge it when I wake up. Nope...thing keeps humming. Screw Apple.

I have to agree with you, UD. All those who sleep more than 18 hours or so at a stretch--and that may include most iPod bashers--should definitely look elsewhere.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #24 of 26
I think my grandma works for cnet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
well the sony got 24.2 hours and the ipod mini got 21.1 in cnets tests. ipodlounge got over 25 hours in their ipod mini test. now lets take a poll as to which company has better software
tongue.gif

also, the ipod batterys arent even much more expensive than their competitors.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Are you absolutely sure that the iPod's battery can't be replaced by consumers? Why not check here before deciding. And don't forget to watch the installation video at the bottom of the page. I think you'll agree that at least some consumers could accomplish this amazing battery changing feat.
biggrin.gif

Well, any procedure that requires a "gentle prying motion" with the "included nylon screwdriver tool" isn't what I'd consider designed for easy replacement. For me, the unit must at least have screws for it to be considered as an open system. Or it could be setup like the Zen Micro where the battery clicks into the back with no tools.

Apple isn't alone in this design afaik. Seems like last time I browsed the dap display at my local store there were quite a few that would require you to "pry and pop" the unit open to access the battery. The principal bothers me for all players, but it really bothers me with Apple since they have always agressively tried to market themselves as being consumer friendly. Probably wouldn't bother so much if they didn't make such nice products - it shows they know what they're doing but they just choose to try and milk more money out of their customers via things like a $99 battery replacement service for a $200 iPod Mini. Sorry for the off topic rant.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #26 of 26
Pretzelb, I think you, along with most who make these complaints, miss the point of the whole Apple mystique. In part it's about a refined simplicity, integration, and quality that's sorely lacking in most of its competitors. Obviously the battery could have been made more accessible, but should the elegance of the iPod's design have been compromised for the sake of a five minute operation that occurs every thirty months or so? Those who think so should avoid most Apple products because this approach is a central ingredient in their design philosophy. Don't expect wing nuts on Macs or screws on iPods. It just ain't gonna happen. And that's exactly the way many of us want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back