No matter how much I read, I can't decide between Westone UM2 or UE Super Fi 5
Oct 27, 2005 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

amdj

Head-Fier
EDIT: My music collection is composed of all mp3s, mainly VBR!

Yep. I just don't know which is better.

The main source will be a 5th gen iPod, and this will be unamped. Some people say the Westone UM2s are not so great with the iPods because of the iPod's lack of EQ which made me hesitant to order the UM2s. Now I'm hearing that the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5s are wonderful with iPods and they are really fun to listen to.

Here's what I listen to: Alternative; Hip Hop; Vocal Trance.

Here's my favorite headphone I currently own: Sony MDR-V6. IMO, this headphone is very fun to listen to, and it's extremely comfortable for my head.

Here's what I'm looking for: A very nice supply of bass. The nice bass. Not the overdone bass you find in crappy car audio systems in nearly every cheap ride you see outside your house. But the nice and deep bass that's fun and addictive to listen to. I'm hearing the UM2s are wonderful but require EQ, how are they without EQ? I'll be using my future iPod as well as my desktop, which has a soundcard you all detest, an Audigy2.

I'm hearing the UE SF5s are the perfect match at the price with an iPod. I need someone to back that up. It sounds like the SF5s are fun to listen with, while the UM2s are also fun to listen with??

I'm waiting until Flavio reduces his prices with that 20% discount, so the price of the um2 shall be $240 and the UE SF5 will be $200.

Can anyone tell me of their experience of either of these headphones with the 5th gen ipod and how they compare with each other? The more I'm reading, the more confused I'm getting. I know everyone has different opinions, but please share your opinions as it will very much affect my purchase in deciding with you helping me with the info I gave ya.

Also, is the best purchase for the UM2s at techpushers? Or is there another place with a good price? If anyone has a 20% discount at earphone solutions, please share. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 45
I have just recently been in your position, and went for the Super.fi's for $200 at EarPhoneSolutions. To be honest I ordered the 5Pro's more for practical reasons (the UM2's were on backorder). Having used them now I can say that there excellent-bass is brilliant and generally the experience is more 'musical' than analytical. They are very comfortable to wear and extremely easy to insert and remove. This is partly because they do not go that deep into your ear canal. Obtaining that crucial seal is easy with the 'fit kit'. There are no micro phonics issues. The two cases provided are very stylish and useful.

All the positives considered, the few annoying things are the cable-it’s very thin, and you get the feeling that if you yank it it'll come clean off, its also very short. The memory cable to wrap behind your ears is not particularly good. Since this was my first Earphones (I have HD650's) I felt the sound was a little congested and not quite as open or airy as I was expecting-but I think this a trade-off for size and isolation. Incidentally I am using them with an Audigy 2 also.

Considering between these two is very difficult. One thing is for sure however, these two, I personally think are THE ONLY current earphones worth considering. Both Ultimate Ears and Westone are essentially professional earphone providers, with extensive professional client lists. The UM2 and Super.fi 5Pro and more consumer orientated-but really do provide comparable monitoring quality. Considering the respective prices these earphones sit in the market like a Harrier Jump Jet at the battle of Agincourt!

Spec wise were splitting hairs, but I think ergonomically the UM2 wins, and the cable looks sturdier. I think a bigger factor any way is that the Westones are made in the USA, not exactly an engineering hot bed; but better than being made in China-like the Super.fi's and all other Earphones.

To conclude I think the UM2's are the ones to go for. Without the benefit of testing them you’re self and comparing, it can be difficult-but it seems the UM2's are rated and respected very highly.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 45
Thanks, that helped me out however I read the UM2 has a smaller sound stage. I was considering the SF5s but my mind is tangleled as I'm searching for results
confused.gif

Guess I'll never know until I hear both. Guitar Center is far away from me and I don't know of any other stores that can allow me test these iems.

Anyone else?

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 45
just pick one. you'll be happy with either one.
cool.gif

edit: how about flipping a coin? although you'll probably end up going with the one that didn't win the coin-toss....

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 45
go with the UM2 and get done with it, you're not going to be disappointed
biggrin.gif

That being said, i wouldnt want to confuse you even more, but people say the Shure E4 goes very well with the 5g ipod, i wouldnt know, but there are a few threads over at the portable audio section about this, check the out.

right now, the 35% discount on earphonesolutions seems to apply to the shures, bringing them to $190 or so

good luck,

cheers

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 45
I got my UM2 a week or so back. I don't know if my expectations were high with all the reading I've done, but the performance was considerably lesser than what I was expecting and comparing it to my RS1, there isn't a single department that the UM2 betters the RS1... ok, maybe for music like Yanni and other orchestra oriented, I like the UM2 over the RS1, but the detail, musicallity etc. of the RS1 is far superior to the UM2s when driven from the same source & amp.

Having said that, now about the UM2.

1.The quality out of the iPod is again not impressive at-least to my ears. When I use the iPod Dock and take the line out and provide it to my external portable amp, the UM2 really comes to life.. a totally different beast. The clarity, the bass, the detail all improves drastically and it was the first time I felt the headphone is worth its money. But unfortunately, the ipod cannot be connected to the DOC and the amp all the time when you are going aroud. So mostly I just stick it directly to the ipod.

2.The comply tips that come with the UM2 are superbly comforatble and you do not even realize that you are wearing them. Personally, i like the yellow tips Westone provides to be the best. It is as comfortable as the complys and to me provides superior sound.

3. There are no micro phonics issues at all. I tired all little things to emulate the micro phonics effects to know what it feels like and have so far been unable to do so. I use the UM2 while jogging and exercising and they are great. The cable is short, it is sufficient for me but may be an issue for you.

Again, comming back to the core issue, i have not heard the UE, but it is advertised as optimised for the iPod etc, which theUM2 is not specifically advertised for. So I would presume the UE will do a better job with the iPod.

I am personally not happy with the UM2 and the iPod combo and hope to change the iPod in the near future to another player like iRiver that have some real features for the money. But, if you want to stick to the iPod, I would recommend the UE. Again I have not heard the UE. Also, if the UE has more soundstage than the UM2, that would be a plus point b'coz soundstage and instrument seperation seams the only area the UM2 comes even close to my full sized RS1.

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 45
Thank you all for your opinions, much appreicated!

Well I think I'm leaning towards the UE SF5s. However, the price for the Shure e4g's are very good right now. Anyone got opinions on the e4g + ipod? I heard the bass is lacking for the e4c (which is essentially the same as the e4g)

Looks like UE is the winner so far. Can't wait for a 20% discount...

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 45
well i just sold my E4 after about two weeks of having them, source is an iAudio X5, and didnt enjoy the steely edge to the music it gave it, UM2's here i come
biggrin.gif

and yes, E4 bass can be seen as lacking, however, "supposedly" the 5G does not have the rolled off bass issue as was the case with the 4G, again i wouldnt know, just from what ive read

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 45
I'm running an iPod nano with both the E4's and the UM2's. I'm not sure if the nano and the 5G iPod share the same audio characteristics, but I've heard the nano and the shuffle are very similar in sound quality and that, before the nano, the shuffle's audio quality was much superior to all iPods up to that point. I've also heard the 5G iPod's sound quality is much better than the 4G iPods. So, I think it would be safe to say that the nano and the 5G would be similar, if not the same (not sure what audio chip they both use).

Anyway, with the nano the E4's sound good, but, as everyone else has noted, the bass is, not necessarily lacking (it's definitely there and it's pretty tight), but it just doesn't have the OOMPH, you know? The highs and mids are particularly nice, but I find myself switching between the nano's Hip Hop, R & B, and Rock EQ settings to get the bass where I want it. Using Bass Booster just garbles the whole mess and the overall sound is mud-and-rattle city!

Now, with the UM2's, it's a totally different story. The bass is huge, but certainly not muddy - it's just way more pronounced than on the E4. With the UM2's, I actually use the Treble Booster setting! Even with the EQ off, the UM2's sound very, very good. With the EQ off and the E4's, the sound is very small; tiny almost.

A lot of people on the board define the sound of the UM2 as "fun". I never really understood that until I listened to them, and they are indeed a fun set of earphones.

The E4's are nice and definitely a high quality set of earphones. But, I like listening to the UM2's more at this point. Oh, and all this is straight from the nano's headphone jack - no amp or line out connection.

I have yet to hear the UE's, but I was really tempted a couple weeks ago when I happen into a Guitar Center while on a business trip. I didn't think I could hang with a set of phones that stick that far out of your ears - lame reason, I know, but there you have it.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck with your decision and let us know how things turn out!

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 45
Thanks. I think I'm leaning either direction. Since it'll be my bday soon, cost wouldn't be a factor anymore and I'll spend it on anything.

I changed my mind again, UM2s here we go!
eggosmile.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 45
One thing Ive noticed with my UM2s is that the sound seems to change with what Im listening too...

If Im listening to some classical vocal music - the voices seem to float in mid air - there is loads of space to the sound and crystal clear treble!!! I never get what ppl say about UM2s being dark and lacking in top end - mine just spakles.

However if I put something like Prodigy in the sound suddenly turns FUN - gritty powerful bass etc

on most headphones I find it either does one well and other bad ie if you have "fun" sound classical sounds dull and muddy - if you have clear delicult sound for some types of classical and Jazz then Techno and Rock sound thin and harsh.

Remember to use Sony EX71 tips on UM2s - foamies and bi-flange just make the UM2 sound cheap!

Oct 27, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician

I never get what ppl say about UM2s being dark and lacking in top end - mine just spakles.

If you have heard high end headphone / earphone, for example, beyer DT880, or ER4P You will notice a big cut off on the treble region. However, if you have never heard those, the treble will be just fine to you.

As for the dark, if you heard E5c, you will get why people said UM2 is dark and layback.

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 45
havinged owned both of these at one point, here's my comparison.

Bass - UM2 wins
UM2 has better bass, goes deeper, more slam and tighter.

Mids - super.fis wins
I dunno if its the mids, but the super.fis seems more engaging somehow, I can't really put a finger to it, but the super.fis has very nice mids.

Highs - UM2 wins
I feel the UM2 extends higher, especially if you EQ it, I couldn't EQ the super.fis to bring out the same kinda treble as I could with the super.fis. Havin said that, the UM2 treble can sound harsh with certain tips

Details - UM2 wins
Its just more detailed, not much though, you can't really notice it unless you listen critically

Soundstage - super.fis win
I guess its the Dual-bore design vs the single bore of the UM2

Comfort - super.fis win
it sits further out and its really comfortable to wear for long periods of time

Isolation - UM2 wins
It sits deeper so it isolates more, at the expense of comfort IMO.

I picked UM2 in the end coz I really like the better bass and isolation.

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 45
I'll chip in my two cents. I purchased the Super.fi 5 pros for use with my now-returned 60gb 4G ipod. I have now had my new black 60GB 5th gen iPod for 24 hours now. I can say that as much as I liked the super.fi's with the 4G iPod, I love them and appreciate them all the more with my newest iPod. Sound quality is noticeably better than my previous one--the best of all the iPods I've ever used.

I originally chose the Super.fi's after reading many reviews on head-fi stating that they had a great synergy with iPods. And I can safely report the same is true with my current setup. Bass kicks ass, midrange is very sweet and musical, and treble is wonderful yet not tiring.

My vote is for the UE's. Good luck!

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 45
Between the sf 5pro and the um2, it really doesn't matter which you choose. Though they do sound a bit different, they are pretty much the same 'flavor'. I and fellow headfier donaldekelly had the um2's, and I let him borrow my sf5pro's. We both agreed that they are pretty similar, and that neither one is really 'better'. The um2's have a fuller sound because they have a good bit more bass than the 5pro's, and they also have a tiny tiny bit more treble. However, if you have one, it certainly is not worth buying the other (or selling yours to buy the other).

If I had to buy one, though, I would probably buy the um2's. Not because of the sound, but because of the ergonomics. The um2's are small and fit perfectly and snugly in your ear. They are inconspicuous and I found them the most comfortable of any IEM I've used. The cable is also my favorite of any IEM. The sf5pro's stick out a bit too much for my liking, and they never really felt secure in my ear. The cable is thinner than I would like, but it's replaceable, which I think is a huge plus.

To echo exkgb, I'll give my brief opinion on those categories:
+Bass: toss up
--um2 has a lot more, but the 5pro is tighter and less overpowering. I preferred the bass on the 5pro, I think it's the perfect amount of bass. Several db above flat, but not overpowering to the music
+Mids: 5pro, slightly
--the mids on the 5pro are more forward, which is good for rock and such
+Highs: um2, slightly
--The um2 has more treble, but it's also more prone to sibilance and it can become very harsh when eq'd. I'm not sure which I prefer here, but I guess the um2, only slightly though.
+Details: tossup
--The um2's louder treble lead to a few more details being heard in the higher highs. However, I thought the 5pro was able to reproduce more a bit more detail than the um2.
+Comfort: um2
--I guess some people may find the 5pro's more comfortable since they don't go as deep into your ear, but I would have to fidget with them a lot more to keep them in. The um2's fit like a glove (though it was a bit more effort to insert and remove).
+Isolatoin: um2
--same as last

Users who are viewing this thread

Back