No love for full size Koss cans?
Feb 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Xcalibur255

Headphoneus Supremus
First time poster, long time lurker here (like nobody says that
smily_headphones1.gif
). Considering how well known the Koss KSC75 and PortaPro are I'm surprised that nobody ever discusses their larger headphones. Are they just not as impressive as the cheaper offerings? Koss has been in this industry for a long time and if they're even half the value the KSC75 is I'd be interested in trying them just for the sake of it. Specifically the Pro4AAAT or the MV1.

Does anybody have any opinions or thoughts on these models? I am a new K701 owner (thanks to this forum) truth be told, but while their technical prowess and accuracy are impressive I don't enjoy using them for every genre. It doesn't help that they are taking forever to break-in and I'm still a month or so away from buying a real amp to push them either. Sometimes I just wish I could have a headphone that sounds exactly like the KSC75 except more refined and polished all around with a bit more midrange presence. I've wondered if the more expensive Koss cans deliver this.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 16
Use the search function - a few people here have had the pro4aaat or the mv1, they've even discussed them recently.

The consensus seems to be that full-size kosses these days mostly adhere to the same general sound signature as the old Pro4AA, and that doesn't impress the average head-fi ear.

Plenty of love for the long-gone A250, though.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 16
I love my A250s. They don't really sound like the KSC55 that I tried ages ago, more neutral and with loads more detail and separaration. Remember that as well as the loved KSC75 Koss also make the hated Plug.

Headphones as good (and expensive) as the K701s usually need decent amplification to reach their potential... hang in there.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones as good (and expensive) as the K701s usually need decent amplification to reach their potential... hang in there.

A CIAudio VHP2 is coming for them next month, or possibly this month if the tax return is kind to me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Another piece or gear that doesn't get discussed much (I did search on this one) but I'm going to give it a try. The member who was trying them in a balanced config spoke highly of them and I'm convinced they'll offer a slightly better synergy than a Gilmore Lite would have (my B choice).

In the meanwhile I'll search on the Koss to get a better idea of their sound. You can get a Pro4AAAT for just around $100 so I figured it couldn't hurt to try them.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 16
I know the Koss ESP950 get some love around here.
The other full size Koss' are mentioned once in a while as well. But none of them seem to be as popular as the PortaPro and KSC75.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 16
The Koss 60 ohm driver (PortaPro, SportaPro, KSC75, KSC35, etc) offers ridiculously good bang-for-buck performance in a variety of different models to choose from. Unfortunately, the full size phones, while several of them do sound good or have a sound that is agreeable, do not perform as well for what they cost as the 60 ohm driver does. There are a few that deviate from the norm, primarily, the hard to find Koss A250 and, to a lesser extent, its closed brother the A130, as well as the ESP950.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 16
Can anyone recommend a closed back headphone under or around $100 since the Koss cans aren't very well regarded. Basically what I'm looking for is something to complement the K701. It is a great phone but isn't suitable for every type of music, and for those things and some poorly recorded sources it'd be nice to have a phone that is more forgiving with a laid back sonic signature and less treble. I've heard the Koss MV-1 described this way after break-in, but only by one person who also stated the midrange was just plain "funky"...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 16
The Goldring DR150's are supposed to have that "75" SQ, with more refinement and impact. Many swear by it in the appreciation thread.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Goldring DR150's are supposed to have that "75" SQ, with more refinement and impact. Many swear by it in the appreciation thread.

I've heard that, but they're a bit above what I wanted to spend for just a secondary set. The only retailers I've seen carrying it sell strictly at MSRP. Plus, I wanted to try a closed back model this time since all my other full size cans are circumaural/open back.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend a closed back headphone under or around $100 since the Koss cans aren't very well regarded. Basically what I'm looking for is something to complement the K701. It is a great phone but isn't suitable for every type of music, and for those things and some poorly recorded sources it'd be nice to have a phone that is more forgiving with a laid back sonic signature and less treble. I've heard the Koss MV-1 described this way after break-in, but only by one person who also stated the midrange was just plain "funky"...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

That would be the Equation RP-21

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Well yes, they're poking fun at some other headphone manufacturers. Equation is a fairly small american company that mainly makes microphones.

The RP-21 is well regarded as being more or less unbeatable in closed cans for the $80 you can get it for on amazon.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 16
I just read through about the first 50 pages of the RP-21 thread. What troubles me is the repeated mention of "dry" sounding treble. What I'd really like to find is something with a mellow midrange and slightly dark treble. Not recessed, since in my mind those two are not the same thing, but something that under-accentuates treble detail. I'm not worried about detail retrieval or an airy soundstage. I do afterall own a K701 I can go to for those things.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative to them for the small amount of music I have that doesn't really sound good on them. Do you think the RP-21 fits this bill, or perhaps the RP-22X? I'd gladly give them a try, but I'm not a big fan of buying and selling so I want to pick wisely for the purpose at hand.

I have a handful of headphones in my possession that I just don't care for and it's always aggressive treble that is the culprit. I'm beginning to think my hearing is a bit oversensitive in that range, which is unfortunate because most headphones come across as bright to me and unpleasant. Listening to loudspeakers doesn't cause my any trouble because of the natural in-room rolloff of response in that range.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, and thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: oh, and unless I missed something they're $99 at Amazon right now.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that, but they're a bit above what I wanted to spend for just a secondary set. The only retailers I've seen carrying it sell strictly at MSRP. Plus, I wanted to try a closed back model this time since all my other full size cans are circumaural/open back.

I have found one place that does sell the Docs for only $120 shipped new. I'm not at my reg comp, or else I'd post a link. Could get you one later if you were interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back