No Longer a Meat Eater
Feb 18, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 195
I have to say that since the moral ponderings in my teen years, I've been a happy carnivore. We're after all flesh-eaters (in addition to other stuff) biologically.

However, recently I've begun to wonder about this again. Today I'm pretty convinced it's not a very friendly thing to do to eat other animals. The day we as a species have access to all the needed nutrients with a vegetarian and synthetic diet, flesh eating should be history. However, despite the today's vegetarians comments I'm pretty sure we're still not there. Meanwhile I feel myself more and more pleased by approaching the vegetarian diet.

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 195
Damn, a PETA has hijacked PinkFloyd account
tongue.gif

btw who wants to make a pool how long pinky stays veggie
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 195
I am also slowly eating less and less meat, mostly because it is not that tasty and because I feel bad for the little furry animals. But I will still eat a good steak , it is just that I am not that attracted to meat any longer.

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #20 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Would you eat your neighbours dog or cat? If not, why not?

Assuming they gave me the cat or dog I wouldn't have a problem with it if someone prepared it for me. But, after many many years of humans eating meat I imagine that cow, pig, chicken and turkey didn't become so popular for nothing. Surely they must taste better.

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by JuveDuke
Assuming they gave me the cat or dog I wouldn't have a problem with it if someone prepared it for me. But, after many many years of humans eating meat I imagine that cow, pig, chicken and turkey didn't become so popular for nothing. Surely they must taste better.

Not if you are in some south east asian countries such as S.Korea

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 195
Hi RickMonsterater! Keep Watchin' and Thanks for doing the job....

I think that if everybody had to kill their own chickens, dress out their own meats, and raise their own animals, there would be less meat eating, but it would still be going on...I have done all of the above...

If everybody had to stalk and kill the meats they eat, there would be less on the table, but it would still be happening...(I know I would be healthier, less fat)

I respect the animals' lives and all, but they are just part of the food chain...as am I...

If I were in the African Wild, I am sure the lions would have no respect for my life...I could get killed and eaten!...

(gotta go blow dry my Labrador - she just had her bath)

That is the way of life...each organism gets equal shot at life...they each get to die just once...

I know that if I didn't have more money than time, I would be eating a lot less meat...

Some kill a lot, during their life...

I only use what I need, never kill for sport alone...

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 195
I don't think anyones denying that humans naturally eat meat. I love meat and understand that its very important nutritionally to include meat in your diet.
It's just completely wrong the way animals are treated - and the quality and taste of meat is declining too due to the conditions the animals live in.

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #24 of 195
I'll slip in before the Clampdown
tongue.gif

I live with the personal hypocrisy of knowing it's wrong and still eating meat.
One hypocrisy of many I suppose. Selfishness is inescapable. I guess it's the degree of selfishness that varies amongst individuals.

There's no denying animals feel pain and are being raised and killed in painful ways. I think it's very cruel and shameful. Economics are playing their part in this also.

At the cafeteria at my workplace, if I order a beef dish, I say "I'll have the cow". At least it's some acknowlegement.

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #25 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
acknowlegement.

"acknowledgement"
(Misspelled, racing the clampdown)

Regarding the meat food industry, were the 'see no evil' aspect removed, sales would drop or at least animal treatment would improve or both.

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 195
I've got nothing against you Fyr (nothing at all) but you seem intent on censoring my every movement and making me out to be some pariah who has got nothing worthy to say.

I'm not taking the bait Fyr and you are now the first person I've had cause to put on my ignore list (a feature I thought I'd never have to use
frown.gif
)... I'm not "phishing" (whatever that means) I am doing my best to converse with the rest of Head-Fi (hold conversation) on a subject I feel needs aired.

I'm sorry if I've upset you somewhere along the line Fyr (really) To save any confrontation or misunderstandings I think it's in "my" best interest to add you to my (empty) ignore list.

I wish you all the best.

Mike.

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Years ago a Turkey was something only the rich could afford and Christmas dinner was an event..... these days chicken / turkey / beef / pork etc. are served daily (yeh I know some of you eat Udon noodles...) does mankind "need" to eat animals on a daily basis?

This is a very interesting point. Increasing government subsidies have seriously distorted the natural pricing mechanisms for meat products in most western countries. (I'd imagine this is even more the case in Britain, where all the beef farmers would have gone out of business without government subsidies.)

I'm not a vegetarian and I have no problems with meat eating, but I'd rather see the government get out of the business of subsidizing the meat industry. Let free market forces take over. We eat more meat than most other countries partly because it is so inexpensive. I'd imagine that countries with public health systems (Britain, Canada, etc.) would benefit even more from this, since high saturated fat diets from meat products contribute to heart disease, etc.

I rarely eat beef any more because Dr. Prusiner's work at UCSD suggests that CJD may be more prevalent than we're being told (being misdiagnosed as Alzheimers, particularly in people who die less than eight months after being diagnosed). It's shameful that in the US government regulation prevents beef producers from independently testing their cattle for BSE and reporting those results to consumers, the way things work in Japan. We need to get rid of the regulation and let the free market give consumers the info they want. I'd pay more for tested beef.

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #28 of 195
Quote:

I think that if everybody had to kill their own chickens, dress out their own meats, and raise their own animals, there would be less meat eating, but it would still be going on...I have done all of the above...

when I was a much younger man I was a regular Davey Crocket-always out and about with a rifle,hunting anything that moved (including two legged creatures but those not with a rifle
tongue.gif
).The rule was "if you kill it you dress it out and you eat it".

For some reason unknown to me I just lost my taste (
icon10.gif
) for hunting running game.I have no problem with anyone that chooses that path,I have just chosen a different way in later years.
I still enjoy shooting but just not at live targets any longer.No big deal.

I also eat meat.

Prepared meat that I did not have to get "dirty" to obtain.Nothing like a well cooked steak man !

But I understand that some have a different path and have no desire for meat.I know others that eat certain meats only (no pork) and still others who will not eat meat but WILL eat fish.

there is no right or wrong on this subject only personal choice .All opinions/choices are valid for the person making that decision,the one in the end who is affected bu it.

just my opinion folks,please don't kick my a*s

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #29 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
I used to be a vegetarian for a long time. However, once I started questioning everything like I did the meat industry I realized that it is impossible to live a normal life in present day society without indirectly mass-murdering something.

I know people like to pick their own battles, but for me, it is either about maintaining ignorance of the thousands of other things I will still support while being a political vegetarian or become a recluse to stay true to my moralistic crusade. Needless to say, I started eating meat again.

Well, this sounds familiar. I went from years of vegetarianism (for health/fitness reasons) to veganism ("for the animals' sake"), then began to find futility in "fighting the system" and to lose compassion at the same time. Then I went from eating a cheese sub to a cheesesteak in a month and was astounded that my body didn't react adversely.

But giving up for the futility of it all is pretty weak. I still eat meat, but less so, and I think that's pretty good, if put into the context of how I'm fighting whatever other battles I want to take on. (e.g., deciding betwen a QPC or going to Jow Blow's rib shack can be a political/economic choice, and a vote with your dollar.)

Anyway, it seems like even meat-eaters agree that meat as a highly efficient product is a pretty gross business. At least the way it's done in the states, and I'm guessing the UK and much of Europe. In the developing economies, eating meat is maybe not tastier all the time, but it's more often free of so much guilt and additives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ

Yeah, like in all them Middle Eastern countries!
rolleyes.gif
since when is S.Korea in Southeast Asia? Or are you trying to make a comment that will force this topic to the Outside? If you're gonna talk trash, at least get your s**t right.

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #30 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ

Yes, a friend of mine visited China and they apparantly eat dogs..... he was shocked to see racks of dog hanging up in the butchers instead of pigs and cows.

Apparantly "alsation" (German Shepherd) is the chinese equivalent to the pig.... I was pretty shocked to hear this and somebody please tell me this isn't true
frown.gif

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back