No help needed, I just want to say Thanks.
Oct 23, 2009 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
About a week ago my headset broke, and so I went out and started looking for a new one. After a few hours searching for a new headset, I realized that maybe I should actually try to get something that sounds good for once, and after a few hours looking around I eventually ended up on this forum. I was overwhelmed, completely out of my element and all the information being thrown at me was just to much. I had a headache, my eyes hurt, and all my hours hadn't gotten me any closer to finding the perfect headphone for my needs (hell, it took me something like 3 hours to realize I could go with a headphone + external mic instead of a headset).

As I was about to give up, I came across a post about the JVC RX700 and JVC RX900 headphones. The reviews were glowing, the price range was perfect, and dammit they looked good. I know that doesn't matter, but it does matter. It does. I waded through pages and pages of this thread, and pretty soon I was completely sold on the JVC RX900 model (they just looked so comfortable, and I can't argue with that). While waiting for these to arrive in the mail I stumbled across the JVC RX900 modding thread by TopPop, and went out to get the materials for that.

Suffice it to say that I now have my first real pair of headphones, including the TopPop mods, and MY GOD EVERYTHING SOUNDS GREAT. Movies are fantastic, and some of my bands have had life breathed right into them by these headphones. Everything is absolutely brilliant sounding compared to my previous experience with headsets and crappy computer speakers, and it didn't even cost me much more than I was originally going to spend.

So this is me, sincerely and enthusiastically, thanking the Head-Fi community for introducing me to the world of music. Before the last few days, I don't think I had actually ever listened to music before, not really. I probably won't be back much, as I don't think I have ears experienced enough to need amps or even better headphones, but once again Thank You all for a resource as great as Head-Fi. My life is just a little better now than it was before, and it's entirely because of this forum.

TL;DR - Thanks guys, real headphones sound ****ing fantastic.

P.S. One thing that I had trouble with when browsing and looking for headphones was that nobody else seems to listen to a lot of melodic death metal (stuff like in flames, arch enemy, all that remains, etc). I never knew if the pair I was going for really matched my tastes. It was a major pain in the ass, but I'm happy now so I guess it all worked out.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 12
Sorry about your wallet (I really wanted to be able to say that). Glad you like your purchase.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 12
JVC makes some good headphones. They have a particularly cheap model, the JVC "flats", that are astoundingly good for the price (although they have somewhat hollow and "punchy" sound).

I didn't help probably, but glad this place has helped someone.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 12
Hopefully, we'll hear from you again. Or again, rather not. If you do, your wallet will feel sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy your new headphones!

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully, we'll hear from you again. Or again, rather not. If you do, your wallet will feel sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy your new headphones!

Yeah the amount of money I see people talking about scares me, and yet I already find myself browsing the amp forums, the soundcard stuff, portable stuff for my iPod, etc. It's pretty scary around here, way too easy to spend money in this kind of thing.

I actually got some IEM's after reading Head-Fi as well since I've always used crappy ear buds, but they really hurt my ears =/. Still, my computer headphones are so great I'm still in love with this place.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 12
I think you got bitten by the audiophile bug, my friend.
biggrin.gif
It got me too and my wallet hurts, but my ears are happy!

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually got some IEM's after reading Head-Fi as well since I've always used crappy ear buds, but they really hurt my ears =/.

Yeah, I can´t use IEM´s either. I settled for a pair of used Yuin PK2 earbuds. Great sound and affordable too
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I can´t use IEM´s either. I settled for a pair of used Yuin PK2 earbuds. Great sound and affordable too
bigsmile_face.gif

Hey thanks for the recommendation. That's a bit more than I want to spend right now, and yet I keep loading up reviews and wishing I had them. I guess it's time to start saving...this website really is bad for you.

It's a shame that I can't use IEMs, everybody I know that has them constantly raves about how much better they are than earbuds; I've just never understood it when I try them. Anyways, thanks again for mentioning those, they look fantastic.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

It's a shame that I can't use IEMs, everybody I know that has them constantly raves about how much better they are than earbuds; I've just never understood it when I try them.

IEM´s are generally better than earbuds, but Yuin are the exception from the rule
biggrin.gif
. They come in both cheeper and more expensive variants (OLD: PK1, PK2, PK3, NEW: OK1, OK2, OK3).
It should even be possible to find a pair of IEM´s which fits you. There are all kinds of different sizes and eartips around. If you buy used, you can always sell them again, if you are not satisfied
wink.gif
If you can accept ordinary phones on the go, there´s also the classics Sennheiser PX100 and Koss PortaPro.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

P.S. One thing that I had trouble with when browsing and looking for headphones was that nobody else seems to listen to a lot of melodic death metal (stuff like in flames, arch enemy, all that remains, etc). I never knew if the pair I was going for really matched my tastes. It was a major pain in the ass, but I'm happy now so I guess it all worked out.

Swing by the music section.
wink.gif
It gets taken over by metal threads every month or so.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swing by the music section.
wink.gif
It gets taken over by metal threads every month or so.

Haha, oh I definitely suspected there had to be plenty around. It was just that in all the recommendation threads I read none of those people happened to like metal, so besides grados I didn't know how any other headphone would sound with metal. But I've actually had the chance to try some Grados since my purchase (I was extremely curious, and found a local shop with them), and I'm happy with my JVC's. I can see where a lot of people are coming from with the Grados uniqueness (most definitely different), but maybe my novice ears just aren't experienced enough to see the greatness of their metal sound. So anyways, it worked out, and I'm glad I got headphones that are actually helping me experience a lot of other genres in ways I never had before that I also enjoy listening to metal with.

Also, apparently there are a LOT of audio stores in Denver. I thought it was going to be hard to find places to listen to headphones, but after I went out and looked it was easy and they were all over the place. I lucked out (thanks to head-fi.org for sure) with my JVC online purchase, but in the future I'll definitely be going around town trying headphones out first.

P.S. If anyone is wondering why I didn't go with grados in the first place if I like metal so much, it's that the reviews just didn't make me think the comfort would be something I liked. At all. And after trying them locally, I'm glad I didn't get them; it's hard to believe people listen to these things for hours on end (I know there are mods, cool orange pads and whatnot, but still).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back